tomos front sprocket removal

I'm trying to get the big nut off the front sprocket, and this thing doesn't seem to want to budge. Anyone know if its standard thread or reverse thread? so that I know if i'm turning the thing the right way.

Re: tomos front sprocket removal

It's standard thread and is torqued on pretty tight. I use an impact wrench to take it off and install.

how can you use and impact wrench with the pedal shaft in the way?

Have you read this?

You need to fabricate your own deep socket.

marchi, ok thanks.

linda, yeah I read that. i tried an adjustable wrench and it started rounding the corners because the thing is on so damn tight. Ill just see if i can find a 30mm wrench at a hardware store.

I know this thread is as old as dirt, but what I did was very carefully tighten a large crescent wrench around the nut until it had absolutely no play, then I took a short handle sledge hammer and beat on the crescent wrench. This is just as effective as an impact wrench if you do it correctly.

I've had to resort to a massive pair of channel locks before

if you have a chain wrench or spanner wrench or can make a chain wrench by welding a hunk of metal to a chain that helps

oh yeah, make sure the keeper is bent back. duh

I use a chain c-clamped onto a block of wood to stop the sprocket from spinning.

I usually use a box wrench and step on it. It's easier to do if you have the upgrade nut because there's more surface to grab.

« Go to Topic — end of thread