stainless steel hanging wire for cables?

I was wondering if you guys have ever used stainless steel wall hanging wire from home depot for stuff like throttle cables? I tried it on my choke and it seems to be working, its 50 lb test.

Do you guys use bike cables? or is there something else that is good?

Re: stainless steel hanging wire for cables?

Bike cables are thinner and can stretch under load.

Bike cables work fine for throttle, starter, choke and decompression cables. For the brake cables you need something thicker.

I just picked up two cables at a bicycle shop for the choke and throttle on my Moby. They're Bontracer brand I believe, and were $2.99 ea. (without the sheath). They are tightly wound, pre-stretched and caoted for smooth performance - I'd highly recommend them.

I concur - the bowden cables used on bicycles are largely identical to moped control cables. I'd also say that some parts - such as the choke lever - might actually be better when replaced with bicycle controls.

Consider that a bike-boom (1970s) thumb-shifter from a bicycle was designed to be light, strong, easily serviceable, and visually appealing, whereas the choke lever on your moped was probably just designed to work as a lever.

I also caution against using bicycle brake cables on mopeds with only one exception: there was a trend in the 1980s to use motorcycle gauge cables with mountain bike caliper brakes, and these cables will work fine if you can find them.

Still, you can say with some assurance that no _new_ bicycle brake cables should be used as brake cables on a moped.

« Go to Topic — end of thread