Seeking advice for a moped like motorcycle

OK, many of you know me here. I still have some mopeds. I am surely going to keep my kitted moby.

I am looking for some advice on what would be a logical motorbike for me to get.

My needs / reasons a moped does not fit the bill

It does not have to be very fast. I never want to be tempted to drive it on highways so a top speed of 50 would be nice.

I want it to be small and have vintage style.

I want to able to ride somewhat safely with a passenger.

I don't want to burn oil in my gas and release so much unburnt fuel, and smell like a moped all the time.

I want it to be completely reliable, I don't want to be afraid of taking a 100 mile trip on it.

the most appealing ones I have seen so far are the honda trail 110, and the 1970's Honda CB series (125-350cc or so)

Re: Seeking advice for a moped like motorcycle

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

You're on the right track with the Honda Trail 90/110's. I know the Honda C70's and Passports are good bikes, will hit 50 without much trouble but are definitely not highway material. My Honda C100 can hit 45 with my 250 lbs, and that's just a little pushrod 49cc.

I'd go with a C70 too...either that, or honestly a Honda Rebel 250 (CMX250) or the Suzuki equivalent is going to be a solid bike. Older ones can be had as well, but they're all reasonable.

Yeah, I've been calling scooter riders weenies for several years now, so I can't get a c70. they just look way to scooterish.

I do not like the modern syling on that cmx250. Any bike that has smooth modern visual lines between the gas tank and the seat is right out.

I guess these things are faster then I thought.

how fast does a 125cc - 250cc 4 stroke bike COMFORTABLY go.

I'm not talking about a rattling death speed. I'm talking about a smooth cruising speed.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

Just take the front fairing off, then it looks like a moped. :grin:

I'm in a similar situation, I love my mopeds, but sometimes I need something just a little faster. I fixed up an old CL70 and put a Lifan 110 on it last winter and it's great.

It's got basically the same engine as a C70 but with a 4-speed manual shift. If you re-geared a stock bike, it would probably do 45. With the 110, mine will do 55 easily, I haven't really wrung it out yet to see what the top speed is. Plus, it's nice to have a real suspension with an oil-damped front fork, and it still gets around 100MPG. I highly recommend it if you can find one.

1214835444_clsm.jpg

Gabe, i think we are on the same page here.

I love that bike.

thus begins my my honda CL search

Check out the Kawasaki Eliminator 125, one step up from a moped, small, Light weight, low seat height, vintage look; this bike is used by the University of llinois

CL70's are a lot of fun. i used to have a blue one.

pretty much any old honda is gonna be right up your alley.

check out a CL125 if you can, beautiful bikes with just enough power:

by the way, no re-gearing necessary on that CL70. mine did 45 stock easily.

my bro rides a honda rebel 250 and i like it a lot. Im a small guy, so the 250 isnt too much to handle. It does maybe 60-75 (depending how badass you are) before you get into those death-rattle stages

I got a 72 cb125 I would trade for something nice

What do you have ?

The cb 125 rips thru 1st 2 and 3 gears .Great sound and nice backfire when down shifting . Mine is a 5 speed and can get it up to 75mph easy .

Dan: I see your in the state of maine . Too far for me to drive but if your ever in the chi-town area look me up

Peace out , Bryan

IMHO, if the engine isn't on the swingarm, and you shift it yourself, it isn't a scooter. Also, 17" wheels help. Passports aren't scooters they are motorbikes.

Yeah I've become obsessed with the passport. the fact that they touched almost nothing on the bike style wise since the 60's is amazing. and its a moped. it has big wheels right? hehe and pretty much goes as fast as a Tomos. so at least in my mind its a moped

I've got a 1978 Honda XL250S. I bought it at a swap meet about 4 years ago for about what a average moped costs. It cruises at 60 very nicely and will go faster easily with more throttle. It gets a solid 70 MPG, more if I baby it. The motor is counterbalanced and very smooth running. It is a single carb 4 valve motor. Do not buy a dual carb Honda single.

i've never ridden one, but ive always wanted a CB125. they look good, and its a honda, so you know that its going to be a solid bike.

Problem with the CB's is you cant get them to stop four-stroking.

I'd say an older Yamaha RD - one of the smaller ones, maybe the RD125. Kawasaki G3SS Bushmasters are pretty sweet too, and can be had for not too much. Other than that, check out ebay for an old Italian singles like a Gilera, Benelli, Ducati Guzzi or MV Agusta.

I guess any two stroke pretty much will be burning oil...how stuck are you on that point?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-1969-Sears-Gilera-124ss_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6719QQihZ013QQitemZ230265259160QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

That one's ended already, but something along those lines?

I'd get something you can find parts for. Peace. Jerry

Bruce Edwards /

Find me a clean titled bike with matching frame and engine and I'll build you a legal/registrationable bike like the one above for $3000. Hey, it's a lot of work!

1214885965_image_00165.jpg

Bruce Edwards /

That includes a Lifan 140cc 5 speed engine BTW

The American Lifan LF200GY-5 is what you want. I own an '07 model, with almost 16,000 klms on it, including 2 trips from Phoenix to San Diego, and a lot of local riding, including some off road riding. The only problems I've had, was I had to replace the chain and the battery with better quality ones at around 5,000 klms. No problems since, although the tires will need replacing soon. This bike is easy to work on, about as simple as it gets, just like a '70s Honda, easy to get parts for, OEM parts are cheap, I had to replace the front brake lever and throttle assembly when somebody knocked it over in a parking lot, parts arrived in 5 days, and cost $27. This is the real deal, it may be Chinese, but it is not junk. Check out the Chinariders forum for opinions on this bike. Everybody that has one loves it. It cruises around 50-55 mph, and will top out between 65-70 mph, and gets about 75 mpg. I got mine here, this is the best place to get onehttp://www.motoxtreme.net/994.htmlThey sell genuine American Lifan, not cheap copies. Brian Mays at Motoxtreme is an honest dealer. Peace. Jerry.

1214887904_american_lifan_lf200gy5_jerry.jpg

Nice bike! I was going to recomend a '70's cb 125 or 250...yours looks nicer and more up to date.

I didn't read all of those, because I'm tired, but I'd reccommend checking out a Honda CM200 (pictured below) because they're pretty much the same bike, yet the CB's (because of the name) are generally more desirable, and therefore more expensive. Mine went 55 stock, and with a gearing change, cruised at 55, topped out at 65. really easy clutches, and raced and beat a 175cc scooter even though I was riding doubles. So, checkit.

i would go for the montgomery wards riversides either 125, 175 2 strokes or the 250 4 stroke. easy to work on. like a large fast moped.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I love the CL70.

Infact I just lost an auction for one and the buy price was driven up by this post.

I was the number 2 bidder, and the winner is named "puchmaxi"

Check out how pretty this is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220249752545&rd=1

i got my CL70 locally for $450, it was on craigslist for a good month before i finally got it. im sure with some patience a cheap one will come around.

I have one that I may sell. I'm fixing it up right now. It runs, but I may put a Lifan 125 on it, I haven't decided. It's orange, maybe not quite as pretty as that one, but it will be more complete, with a battery box cover, new tires, cables, brake pads etc. The chrome and the paint on the frame is just as nice, but the tank is not as nice. Going to title it this afternoon.

Probably too far of a drive for you, but thought I'd mention it.

I think I paid about $400 for my red one, but it didn't run.

« Go to Topic — end of thread