brake question

I need some help.

My front brakes work fine, but my back brakes suck. Whenever I pull the brake it goes the whole way down, but it takes forever to stop... I think something needs adjusted and I'm not sure how to do this... I tried tightening the part at the top of brake (near the handlebars) but that did nothing... any ideas?

Gordy

Re: brake question

I don't know what bike you have , but trace the cable to the back wheel. The cable should be attached to a brake arm by a small nut and bolt. Loosen off the nut and pull the cable tighter then due up the nut again. Before you do this ,put the handle bar adjuster somewhere near the middle so you'll be able to adjust it. You might have to do this 2 or 3 times to get it right. bruce

Thanks Bruce, I have a 1980 Puch Maxi.

Okay,

Well I still have a problem... when I looked to see where the back brakes were connected to, I found it, but at the end of the brake cable, there is a little piece of metal, sorta looks like a really small can... very tiny, that's holding the cable on... my back brakes hardly work at all... does anyone know what I need to address to get these to work? I tried adjusting the piece up near the handle bars... screwing it left and right.... it didn't do anything... does anyone know what I'm talking about... my back brakes are on the left side also, is this right?

thanks so much,

gordy

If you still don't get it, pull the lever on the handle bar and watch the motion of the cable, at the rear wheel. That's what you want to adjust. The cable should go thru something attached to the lever on your rear wheel. That thing has a screw or bolt on it, and that's what you loosen and pull the slack on the cable from. pull or move the arm on the rear wheel forward and hold it, then pull the cable thru to tighten it.

If this dosn't help your pads may be worn out. You can check this by using the view holes on the side of your brakes--They have little rubber plugs to keep them covered. If you look thru the holes, you should be able to see some brake material.

mbartell,

thanks alot for the help, i will check it out later tonight and let you know what I find out,

gordy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account