Youd hypothetically be able to use:

Magnum frame +tank

Maxi forks +swingarm

Any mag / spoke wheels

Then the question is what motor?

za50?

Recommendations for motor?

If this is a possibility,

Im thinking about starting this project very soon.

I'm gonna need a bit of advice in crafting my ped,

so any key points before I even start?

Or is this not even possible?

Re: Magnums...

Go E50.

anythings possible.. and yeah it could be cheaper to buy all the parts and do a ground up build..

I want an engine I can kit the hell out of,

This project is going to be my intended "Fast as Hell Race Bike" project.

So If I make a list here,

Magnum tank/frame:

Anyone got a spare one (with title preferably) lying around?

maxi forks/swingarm:

Ebay, unless anyones got spares.

Wheels:

Mags preferably. Anyone got some of those sitting around too?

Why a E50 motor though?

an e50 is fucking indestructable. and you can rebuild it yourself.

im building a magnum like this myself. i started with only a magnum frame, and the side covers and trunk piece. i then bought chrome maxi EBR forks and a chrome swingarm from treats. Then i got some chrome Maxi shocks and threw them on there. It sits realy nice and low. they call this type of setup a mini magnum.

Then i got some clubman bars and other odds and ends. Im going to try to get some 5 star mags and an e50. Then im going to put a 70cc athena reed vaulve kit and portmatch it, tune the clutch, expansion exhaust, etc. hopefully itll be pretty awesome.

Im spending a lot of money because im using a lot of new parts and performance aftermarket shit. You could buy used stock parts, or even used performance parts and save some money though.

Good luck and have fun.

Yea Magnums are kickass if i had another chance to get one i would kill for it.

Good luck with building one up

Hi Ian, You might want to just buy the whole a whole Magnum instead of trying to build one. At todays "Magnum" prices, it will end up being more expensive to piece one together than to buy one outright. Just a frame with forks/swingarm on ebay went for $146 recently. And once you get into the build you will relize that there are alot hard to find parts that you will need. Stuff you either have to make your-self or you might get lucky and find someone parting out a magnum. It will take alot more searching and headaches to piece one together from nothing.

I know what your going through though, I searched for a Puch Magnum for a little over a year. And yes, building one is very apealing b/c you don't have wait for one to come up for sale. But if you start building one you will be spending all your money into the project, and while your tied up in that a complete magnum will come up for sale. Pataince pays off when looking for Magnums, after about a year of looking I finally found a Brown Magnum MKII for only $50. Not all Puch Magnums are $700.

also the biggest benefit of a magnum is the larger swingarm so you can fit bigger tires, the taller shocks and forks and the stability of the frame. by putting maxi swingarm and forks on there you are like putting 14 inch rims on a jeep.

some people do this for fun. the "mini magnum" but its just for fun.

Yea, Magnums are meant to be "big and sturdy!"

no point in using a maxi swingarms and those crappy forks.

theyre just as big, just a little lower to the ground. i wouldnt use stock maxi forks or shocks though, they suck. use a magnum swingarm or the chrome swingarm from treats too.

doesn't making a mini something require a frame chop ?

wrong, wrong, wrong. maxi forks are the worst forks puch has. even magnum II or magnum XK (the spring forks) have a larger diameter yoke and spring and have less give. maxi forks bottom out very very easily and will bottom even more on a heavier frame like a magnum. there is a large height difference between the two as well. there are also magnum MKII, brown and gold and limited edition forks. those are heavy but are one of the best forks available for any US moped.

also, the aftermarket chrome swingarm is probably the worst made "performance part"you can get for a puch. doesnt line up right, breaks very easily and chips very fast. it also is barely wider than a maxi swingarm. that is one of the parts that people laugh at on builds, when someone has a chrome swingarm you can tell they just threw money at their ped without researching. thats ok, we all were like that at one point, but nowadays we know better. go with a magnum or freespirit swingarm, they are wider, stronger and look much better.

Harold, I heard some MKII's came with spring forks, instead of the hydualic ones. Is this true?

I have a 1980 brown Puch Magnum MKII, with the original brown forks. How do I tell if they are hydrualic?

They are all Hydraulic!

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

If its a MKII it should have hydraulic forks. If it doesn't, they were replaced at some point.

I'd say buy the complete magnum for $700. With prices on the rise for individual components, and many of those parts pretty tough to find, its easier to get it and rebuild. Thats not to say you couldn't do it the other way around, but it will be tougher, and probably more expensive. Its all the little stupid parts that add up the fastest.

I'm not a fan of maxi forks on anything. Do it right.

Im not a fan of maxi forks on maxi's

harold, how do you break a swingarm? the chrome one i bought is 2 inch square steel tubing. how does that break? the welds look good, too. anyway, i beleive you though. i just bought it because no one would sell me a real magnum swingarm.

The swingarm bends every time you turn. With enough turning and bending, the swingarm will break.

that swing arm blows...... alot of aftermarket mopeds parts are strait up shit. u really need to look hard for quality stuff. OEM is typically better.

i'm not a fan of full size magnums

I appreciate the advice, and its really helped.

I think I'm gonna start by looking for a beater magnum, and then start from there.

If anyone knows any leads, I don't care what condition It is as long as the frame, and tank are solid. I'm going ground up mods.

aww shit. now i feel like i've wasted my money. well, if you bastards werent so stingy with your parts, i wouldnt be in this situation... lol. well, i guess i'll have to just deal with it and maybe swap it out for a real magnum swingarm later.

just a question. whats better, a stock maxi swingarm or that chrome one? because i have on eof those, too.

Not only cheaper, but way better. You can paint and rewire it the way you want it... You would have to tear it down to do this anyhow. Unless of course you can find some mint one but it would cost you WAY more...

Not to mention you learn alot building one and by putting more heart into it, you love it even more. I just built one and even gave it a name..

Yeah, thats one of the main reasons iwant to go ground up.

To learn more and know EXACTLY what goes into it so I can fix it instantly.

Im on the lookout for frames and tanks.

Anyone know if a ped motor will bolt up to the magnumx dirtbike?

it should but u will have to bum start it every single time

Go with the athena 70cc kit it has a good price lots of performance upside and is beginner/user friendly

How is it cheaper to build a Magnum than buy one???

I paid 340.00 for mine... mint sienna brown w/800 original miles on eBay...

Threw on a Polini and a BiTurbo..... ZOOM ZOOM ZOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account