bearing

ok so this seems like a stupid question, but im in the middle of rebuilding my e50. All the bearing in the engine spin freely if i stick it on my finger and give it a whirl. When putting it all together i messed up the snap ring bearing ( dont ask me how) so i ordered a replacement but it doesnt spin freely. So i had another one sent out, same thing happens. Has anyone else had this problem with the snap ring bearing. The ones im having trouble with are the 6203-ZNR bearing with the cover that you have to remove.

Re: bearing

Might need to put some lube on them

wd40 tht shit.

how are you pulling and pressing your bearings?

new bearing have some resistance in them because the tolerances are pretty tight

but all of the the other bearing that i received spun freely when i got them. im hesitant to put these in the engine and them have them fail. When i got the second bearing it wouldn't spin at all i had to twist it very hard in order to get it to spin. It just feels like grit is in between the bearings and the race.

the first one got damaged because i had to pull it off, and that was my own fault for pulling it off wrong but i haven't even had a chance to install these other ones.

I have ones still in the puch wrappers and they do that once the juices soak it up they spin freely .

The NR bearings are sealed and lubricated with a thick grease. This grease creates drag when you spin the bearing. There should be no grinding noise or gritty feel when you spin the bearing though, if this is the case then something is wrong.

You can either clean all the lube out (big pain in the ass) swish it around in some gas to loosen some of the grease and then get it out with a rag or just run the bearing as is. Since it is the snap ring bearing it is in the transmission and the trans fluid will break the grease down over time. I normally get the bulk of the grease out of the bearing, in a few hundred miles the rotation heat and transmission fluid will have removed all the grease.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account