early 60's puch advice

lucky /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

so I went to look at a moped this evening, and it seems to be an early 60's puch like this one...

http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/2/10653/

The guy was told it was a 60/61, but it looks pretty much identical to this one, except red and cream. Same muffler, engine, etc... it's a 2 spd, shifter on the left grip. Speedo indicates up to 45 mph.

The one I saw needs a back tire, seat, shroud for the flywheel/magneto thing, float for the carb, choke lever, and some new cables. He said there is a cable that you pull to engage bicycle mode, but that cable looked pretty f'd up.

The paint and inside of the tank look pretty nice.

I'm considering this as a second moped. It has compression. Seems like it would go without too much effort... (he replaced the float with a cork one, says it ran for years that way)

So I'm wondering what are parts availability like? Where would I look? I know there is a lot for the newer ones. And any performance mods for these old ones? Like exhaust, etc?

I think he's hoping for ~$600 CDN. I'm torn. It's a little too vintage for my tastes, but then it does have a certain charm. I'll make sure it fires and listen to it run before I spend that much.

So I'm just looking for opinions... if I decide I don't want it... anyone else? I could buy it, part it out, or ship it.

thanks!

(oh yeah, there is a crazy bar with footpegs mounted under the tank... some kinda farm boge for cruisin!)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.