Re: I HATE PEOPLE; THEY ARE DICKS.

I hate dumb ass people. The worst is people who say they'll do something but they "play dumb" when it come to following through.

I had some old ass baby close stolen a few weeks ago from a bag in the front seat of the car when we went in to grab some tacos. The doors were shut and the windows were up..

Dicks got away with 50 cents worth of clothes.

It's a shame that happened to you...

Stupid people are the ones that seem to breed the most too!

I don't understand locking gas caps vs. siphoners - can't they just get gas right from your petcock?

I love bicycle shops because of how willing to work on anything they generally are. I broke down the other day when the fuel filter built in to my petcock got clogged; I stopped at a bicycle shop to borrow a 19mm wrench, and they let me use all the tools I wanted (and one of their plastic beer cups to use while draining my gas, though they were afraid that it would melt).

A bike shop I used to go to a long time ago would weld simple things for free; the owner was more than willing to weld crap to other crap just for the hell of it - we brought him all kinds of stuff.

Finally, I personally will work on anything that has two wheels, and a lot of things that have three. Someday I will have a bicycle shop of my own, but I intend to keep a few mopeds and motorcycles (and parts for each) in stock even if I have to run that part of the business at a loss.

Car culture is deadly, but putting two wheels on the ground can save us.

Don't worry, one day you'll blast past them.

WORD!

Re: I HATE smokeblowers; THEY ARE DICKS.

lol so true!

I think locking gas caps are intended to prevent someone from putting something IN your tank, they were around long before such a small amount of gas was worth stealing. I have an old truck parked out on the street, with a cheap stereo in it. I almost never have more than a quarter tank of gas in it. I leave the doors unlocked, and have a non locking gas cap, to prevent thieves from doing more damage than what they are trying to steal is worth. I had a $300 window broken out once, so they could steal a $50 stereo. It would be nice to have a bike shop around like you are talking about, but there is no such thing here. Peace. Jerry.

Not everybody that rides a moped is a mechanic, or can change their own tires. My youngest daughter rides a moped, I gave it to her. I taught her how to ride it as safely as possible, but made no attempt to teach her how to work on it, it's not her thing. I'll take care of that part. Peace. Jerry.

What kind of truck has a 300.00 side window? An antique? I never locked my beloved convert bug so no one would slash the top to steal my 50.00 deck! I always took my coil wire with me to try and prevent theft.

I once went into a bicycle shop just to see if they had anything mopey, I'll never do it again. They said, "Can I help you?" as soon as I walked in the door, which is annoying in it's own right. And when I said, "I was just checking to see if you had any moped parts." he and all of the other employees laughed and said, "This is a BICYCLE shop. You know? The HUMAN motor?" As if I wasn't aware of the type of shop it was. Very annoying stuff.

man, just get two tire levers for $8is and doit yourself!

Zack Rineer /

Wow... haha

unreal!

If you were in PA, I would help ya.

It's a shame that a lot of the crusty old bike shops went out of business in the early nineties. Those were the shops that weathered the conversion from ten-speed road bikes to mountain bikes out of sheer if-you-ride-it-it's-fine-with-me-ness.

So Jerry, we're not waiting for these shops, we're mourning them.

As I mentioned, I remember bike shops that had the Orville and Wilbur Wright "I can build anything" ethic, and to honor their passing I will never enter store owned and operated by the Great Trek Bicycle Making Company (even if their name is sorta awesome).

A couple more thoughts:

+ There is going to be a swell of people going to bicycle shops with the electric bicycles (e.g. mopeds) that they bought when lithium-ion batteries got cheaper and gas got more expensive. Some techs are going to have to catch on quick.

+ If you do find a bicycle shop that is cool enough to help you out with a motor vehicle, don't bring it inside. Bicycle shops smell like sweat, metal, and oil - gasoline would be as off-putting as lighting some patchouli during a session of Congress.

They just didn't want to mess with something out of the norm., their happy in their comfort zone.

usually if you walk in with the rims and tires in your hand they will just do it.

its the taking em off they dont like.

Here, cycling is a cult type thing, and most of the bike shops are in on it. They won't even look at a BICYCLE if it cost under $1000 or so. There did used to be one decent bike shop here, I had them work on my Solex wheels, but they are gone now. Cycling, I mean high dollar cycling, spandex, helmets, and clipless pedals, etc., is a very stuck up snobbish thing around here. I love riding by them on my moped, pretending to pedal really fast, and giving them a whiff of my 2 stroke exhaust. Peace. Jerry.

my Local Bike Shop won't talk to me anymore cause I ride a 41 year old italian 10-speed that I spent $2k on at other shops, in NOS parts, mostly, but they just want to sell me a new carbon/titanium/indexed/ergopower/1,000,000 speed thing - even though I keep up to those just fine.

i rode my moby in there 6 months ago and the owner freaked. he had to ride it around the parking lot before he'd let me leave. has a vespa himself.

dude respects me for fixing my own shit and i respect him for running a successful bricks-and-mortar bike business in a rich town.

i get what i need online and downtown, and the folks up here alternately scratch their heads and drool. nobody else in aurora ontario canada got a ped.

emily - you're on your way. cyclophiles are what they are, use them for what they're good for: snooty chain lube, slippery cables and a good air pump.

;)

Funny this got bumped. I went to the local bicycle shop yesterday, like the place where my dad always took our bikes as kids, the place where my brother goes on a weekly basis for parts.

I tell them I'm looking for a mirror, preferably one with a threaded end because my levers have a threaded hole for just such an accessory. The kid shows me just such a mirror. I say "Do you mind if I bring my bike around to the garage to get a feel for how that will look on it?" the kid says sure, I go around back and the owner is back there wrenching on bikes. He says "what do we got?", the kid explains. He takes the mirror and walks outside, sees my bike, and his face goes all sour-like.

He holds the mirror up to my handlebar, still in it's package. I explain I wanted to see if it would clear my handlebars far enough to be able to see behind me. He grumbled that it's probably not right for me, then goes back in and shuts the door in my face.

I figure I'll buy it anyway since it was the only place around I had been able to find one, so I go back in the front and try to talk to the guy. He keeps discouraging me from buying stuff from him, then when some 15 year old brat with a $350 dollar BMX walks in with his mom bitching about how his chain flew off and he didn't stop and pick it up and she doesn't want to buy a new chain cause she just spent $350 on this damn bike but she's gonna make her son get a job and pay her back, the owner just walks away from me and starts talking to them.

I lingered in the store for a few minutes, looked at the snooty cycling stuff, kinda hoping another employee would come out from the shop and sell me the mirror, finally I just sheepishly wandered outside and sat on my ped for a few minutes confused and bewildered, googled "powersports" on my phone, and rode to the closest scooter/dirtbike/atv dealer. They sold me a nice mirror, while a mechanic and some younger scooter patrons checked out my ped. The lady behind the counter tells me "we got NGK plugs, too if you ever need one, and we can get tires or chains for that thing" I told her that I do my own repairs, but I'd definitely be back the next time I needed a plug or a chain.

My whole world was shaken to the very core. Shunned by my bicycle brethren, welcomed by chinese scooterists.

yeah but dude, 90% of people who go to bike shops these days go because they've got a flat tire, bent rim, broken/rusty chain, they left their bike outside all winter and now it doesn't work like it used to ...

the only way a bike shop can stay afloat nowadays is by selling high end shit, cause the hardware and department stores' chinese made stuff gets all the low end of the market share.

the result is jaded, product-savvy but tech-numb staff who would rather sell than service.

the vespa shop in toronto has the same problem. (plus they're ped haters)

this is why moped army rocks, you can get your shit fixed and find great people to buy great parts from - i love it!

jerry thats a horrible stereotype saying every single biker is a snub.

i bike just not 10 grand invested, my uncle does iron man and like 50 tri-athlons per year and his bike and all that shit costs like 8 grand put together but he still gives help to people with 50$ bikes or to people with 5000$ bikes.

Emily you sound like my kind of chick Fuck people. Only one you can depend on is yourself (and maybe a few select others)

:D

Then let me rephrase that. About 99% of what I call the "spandex crowd" around here are snobs, and so are the bike shops they hang out at. I ride a $350 Haro mountain bike with street tires on it, higher bars, and a wider seat, I don't wear spandex, a helmet, or use clipless pedals, although my bike does have $50 BMX pedals on it. I average about 50 miles a week on this bike, which is about all I can do because of health reasons. I don't consider myself a cyclist, because of the negative connotation that word carries, to me anyway. True cycling, European style, is a serious sport, and I am not that serious about it. I used to like it, but the attitudes and drug use of most cyclists has really turned me off. I'm not even keeping track of the Tour de France this year, last year and the year before were complete disasters, and I heard they have already caught some drug users this year. Whatever happened to people who just like to ride bicycles? Here, pretty much everybody on a bicycle falls into one of two groups, the "spandex crowd", and those who ride Walmart bikes, mostly for transportation. I am neither, so I don't fit in anywhere. Not that I consider that a problem. Peace, Jerry.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account