F'ing Tomos headlights

WTF!!! I've replaced this freak sized, expensive frickin bulb 3 times in less than one year!! They keep burning out. And tonight I was at a friends house 20 miles from home. As soon as I started her up... no lights. I had to rig one of the spedo lights to make it look like I had a light, but it gave off nothing. 20 miles in the dark with no lights. At 11 bucks a crack I've spent more money replacing bulbs in the last 400 miles than on gas!

Re: F'ing Tomos headlights

11 bucks is nothing, really. sucks they keep burning out but thats a pretty cheap headlight. most honda headlights are $35+!

Adam, use the 35wx35w headlight bulb from the streetmate and revival. It is 10 watts more than the st and can take vibrations better.

$11 I get them for $4.50 from hargerstown moped

I went thru the same exact thing. I got sick of it and retrofitted a different bulb in the housing. Here is the link to the thread I made.

http://tomosmopeds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=973

i think I paid $6 something for mine, but I upgraded to the 35/35watt, which requires slight mods (opening up the socket with a dremel) to make it work. Works great and is much brighter. I do like the idea of modding for the bulb you have oin your tute.

Thanks for the link.

Russ

I replaced mine with an H4703 Sylvania Halogen Sealed Beam 12v 55watts. It cost me $14 at Kragens.

I ditched the black tomos headlight case and lightbulb. To mount the H4703 I used tie wraps through the tiny brackets on the back of it.

I have put over a 1,000 miles on it. It never burns out and it's bright as hell.

i 7000im on my a35 and i'm only on my 3rd light

What usually happens is the cheap soft contacts on the bulb wear due to vibration. bend the contacts in the headlight receptacle so they are tight again, and hey! Presto! Wow! they work again.

Re: Throw a bullet on

BryAn eurism /

Ya know you can always get a bullet headlight bucket/speedo housing like Myron's has been offering as part of the Classic Upgrade Package. That way you get a nice bright beam still, and when it blows just replace it with a 1157 bulb from 7-11 for $1.29

Bullet Problem solved

Swaped out the stock square headlight for a bullet off of my 78 free spirit. Pluged in a 1156 bulb, and tested it all day today. 3 hours of run time, and no problems. Looks better too.

F'ing Tomos headlights

Get an 1157 socket from the auto parts store and JB weld it into the Tomos bulb holder.

Re: Bullet Problem solved

So you solved the problem? Looks like we are ready to ride on Sunday. Let's weld up your pipe and go.

F'ing Tomos headlight

I just replaced my headlight with a 9005 bulb, as shown in Onell's post

works great!

Re: F'ing Tomos headlight

whats the bulb number for an 99lx

onell, you got any pics of the wiring? id love to do this to mine. do you get highbeams out of it too?

what did you guys use for the connections on the bulb? ive got just about everything ready,

also, how do you get the ground portion out of the tomos socket? thanks!

BryAn eurism /

Which bulb?

DPC Colin Fortier /

this may not be your bulb I went through like three in two months and I replaced housing . It turned out to be a bad regulator replaced it and that was bad too replaced it again and so far no problems . and I am now running led's in my tail light .

im going to run leds in the tail soon as i can find em locally. im putting the 9005 into the normal housing. so far, ive just added 2 holes to run zip ties through to make sure it stays in. cant figure out what to use on the pins of the headlight.

Do what i did.

Go to autozone and get some of those ricer foglights

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/maxspam/moped/Rides/IMG_2867.jpg?t=1241614288

Put them on 55watts each for total combined output of 100 wooo yeah Super fucking bright.

The light output is measures in lumens..not watts..and wouldn't be 110watts not 100...ha..electricity works in funny ways and so does your math skills..

i went ahead and got rid of that shitty two bulb tomos design.... for cost wise bought a cheap trailer halogen square headlight.... its been 3 years and haven't had to replace the bulb yet....

1241655618_picture_008.jpg

My 1157 just keeps working, too.

Check this source for the real replacement bulb. They were $2 last time I checked:

6235B 12V 35/35W A7375 Light Bulb, Replacement LampTomos Moped Headlight LX, Sprint, ST, Revival, & Streetmate. Cross reference information is designed to help you find the lamp you need for your application ...

www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp6235b.html

« Go to Topic — end of thread