Re: $80,000 VW

65 beetle , old school berg 1679cc motor ... super clean won a couple second place vw's shows, loosing to trailer queens.. have talked to Clyde on the phone about the motor a have , he was building the heads in the shop back in the late 80's and gave me some good tips on timing for the semi hemi cut head's.. Also have a 21 window deluxe bus, lowered in good shape.. drive them both but not as much as I would like.. Vw's are my first love, mopeds are right up there but have been bitten buy a new bug.. Yamaha fzr400's, fun little bikes with just enough power and amazing handling.. have two now looking for more..

Nice. But if it's a '65, its not a real oval. I love the fabric sunroof and Porsche wheels. Is that really only a 1600? That looks like a Bugpack exhaust, which is what I had on the 1776 in my last bug. Super nice car, whatever the year or engine. Peace. Jerry.

George Smith /

full resto or just daily driver you cant help but love a bug...

vw owner

hey i got one of the new ones, and dad had an old one and m uncle has 3 oldies and 2 buses.

I would say that sounds like a bad deal. My uncle got all of his for 1000 or less. and two were drive able. The third came in pieces and in a ton of boxes, but it was a deal for 100 bucks.

I wouldnt spend more than a grand on an oldie, and no more than 500 on the one you are looking at, it probs needs 1000 in repaires. Keep that in mind.

Re: vw owner

The car is a 58 oval rag. 2 litre.Complete pan off resto. The exhaust is a custom made unit by Welding Works in Orange,CA.

Re: Any vw beetle owners here?

I me the Bergs at Firebird Raceway in 1984 at Bug Run 1, I won second place in my class with my Black 1963 beetle, not bad since I drove it thru snow and crap most of the way to get there, found a carwash in Phoenix and gave it a quick hose down. I found the Bergs to be very personable. They had the Sonic Muffin out and the best part was the Bikini Contest, there was on floozy with huge tits that didn't mind flaunting them and a bunch of professional models that were horrified by her presence.

nice job though, has pull open handles and pop outs which are a must with a roll back if you want to open it at highway speeds due to loud buffeting without them. I have installed several roof clips with the big sunroof including a microbus roof clip.

The car is a 58 oval rag. 2 litre.Complete pan off resto. The exhaust is a custom made unit by Welding Works in Orange,CA.

$500? What planet do you live on? The price of bugs has gone through the roof, because, just like everything else, nobody took care of them, and there aren't many restorable ones left. That guy Meyers, that designed the Manx dune buggy, is personally responsible for the demise of thousands of perfectly good bugs. Bugs used to be everywhere, but how long has it been since you've seen one? I'd be willing to pay $5000 just for a completely rust free pre '67, even without the motor and trans, as long as most everything else was there and in decent shape. Bugs are now considered collectors items, and are only going to get more and more expensive, just like old mopeds. Now that we are in the age of plastic computers on wheels, the days of cheap old pre emissions real metal cars of almost any type is over. Peace. Jerry.

I didn't think it was a '65. That is a super nice bug. Unfortunately it cost more than I paid for my house. Peace. Jerry.

A lot of people in the VW scene didn't like Gene, because, like me, he had his opinions on things, and wouldn't back down. A lot of people called him arrogant. I never got that feeling at all. He knew what he was doing, and was almost always right. He caused a big controversy when he refused to align bore VW cases, claiming there was no way to do it accurately enough, while everybody else did it. Turned out he was right. Two of my favorite Gene Berg quotes were "buy the best, and cry once", and "yes, but for how long". I am constantly reminded of the last one, when somebody claims they have a moped that goes 60 mph. Going 60 mph for a mile and blowing up is not a big deal. Peace. Jerry.

Whenever someone mentions Gene Berg I think of the new engine case controversy, he was right. I could never justify the cost myself as I always had plenty of good used ones. Nowadays I'd buy new for sure.

George Smith /

I agree with Jerry, mine was a beat up nasty as sitting outside at a farm for 20 years and i got a good deal at 500 cause it runs and wasn't totally screwed. Now a new beetle like 98 and later used i wouldnt buy for more than 3-4grand at best...

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account