Storing a ped indoors

Hi all,

I just moved out of my old place, and into an apartment. No lawn, shed, porch, or other ventilated storage area.

So, where do I put my ped?

I'm worried about keeping it outside. I live pretty close to downtown, and a few of the bikes outside my complex have been clipped. If I park my ped outside, it's only a matter of time until it gets got.

So, ya'll think I can get away with stowing it in a closet? I've got it in there now, but I'm a little worried about the fumes. I killed the petcock and ran it dead before bringing it in, but I'm quite sure the gas cap is vented. I've got the centerstand on some cardboard. Any other suggestions? Should I keep it someplace more, uh, ventilated? Is it going to explode if my flatmate sparks a j?

Alternatively, anyone know a good place to park peds in Northampton, MA?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Storing a ped indoors

If you can get away with carting it into your appartment, I say go for it. I doubt its releasing that much gas through the vented gas cap, given that peds that have been sitting for 20 years with gas in them STILL have gas in them after all that time, it hasn't all evaporated.

u should be fine unless it is an air tight closet and u don't ride it for a few years then light a match in there u might get a little puff from that but u should be fine i left my fa 50 in my garage (unless your apartment is smaller) all winter and light a flame near the end but got nothing

toe fur threadkiller /

i lived in a moped shop, full of mopeds and "fumes."

i'm fine.

i've always dreamed of having a living situation that involved mopeds in my living room. fuck a closet.

Thanks everyone for the responses (and reassurances).

And Topher, I'd love to leave it out in the living room, but my roommate might object. Plus, it fits perfectly in the closet.

I keep all my mopeds in my living room. I figure it's the safest place for them. And the fumes aren't really that bad, I don't notice them.

toe fur threadkiller /

tell your roommate to deal with it. you pay half the rent, so you're using your half of hte living room as you choose.

hahaha

Hey,

You should be okay. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and keep both of my mopeds inside. I keep one in the living room and the other in my bedroom. At first the smell is bad, but after a while you get use to it. I live down a flight of stairs and still manage to carry my Moby up it everyday. My Swinger is bit easier. Be careful if you have carpet. I am for sure losing my security deposit. Damn grease and Evapo-Rust stains!

toe fur threadkiller /

props to you for carrying a moby upstairs every day.

i barely mustered the energy to put mine in the minivan to store it when i lived in downtown south bend.

i have 8 in my apartment, no problems.

Should be fine, unless you ped leaks a lot of gas into the air.

If you are turning off the gas and running the carb dry you shouldn't ever have a problem.

I have 3 mopeds and a scooter in my living room. No problems at all. If there were ANY gas fumes, I would be able to smell them when I got home after being gone all day. Nada. Zilch. There used to be somebody o here who got all upset and said how dangerous it was to keep mopeds in the house, but that just isn't true. I've been doing it for 5 years. I'm sure not going to leave them out in the yard. Peace. Jerry.

a turkey basting pan with a sheet of cardboard in the bottom of it makes a good moped diaper.

My old landlord was pissed at me for keeping a motorcycle in the dining room with wood floors. When I moved out he freaked because the floors weren't scratched up.

Chairs being scooted back and forth every day is a lot more wear and tear than a half assembled motorcycle sitting in one spot.

eh. i keep 6 or 7 peds in my basement, and there is usually 3 or 4 in my kitchen. just make sure they all have good petcocks. sucks to get gas on the floor.

« Go to Topic — end of thread