HEY MOPED ARMY
ok so in the past 6 months we have been hit by a pretty intense wave of trolls. we have had spammers, religous nuts, racists, wackos, chronic arguers and basically ever brand of nutbag out there. Now, these people are very different ages, live in different places, and cause different kinds of trouble. However they share one universal quality, they LOVE attention. They will take it in any form possible.
I'm no psychiatrist but how much would you like to bet all of these turd burglers have serious daddy issues? Most trolls are TOTALLY normal nice guys in real life, but the minute they get to hide behind a keyboard they revert back to the 5 year old kid who would knock over his sisters sand castle just to get some attention from his parents.
So what can we as a site do to deal with this?
Obviously the best course of action is to ignore all posts and threads but we all know that never works. the idea is great in theory (kinda like socialism) but is not possible in reality, it only works if EVERY SINGLE PERSON does it. Newbies who dont know any better will post, then regular members come in and help the newbies, then big posters come in and shit goes nuts. believe me i know how hard it is NOT to post a response when someone is either lying or talking shit about you. I have given in many times. so we can agree that this method is flawed? kinda.
Here is a work around. I know that it can be a lot of fun to respond to trolls. gives us all a chance to sharpen our E-claws and lets face it, it can be really funny some times too. So here is how we will deal with this shit from now on. Every time we have some major drama go down, or we get a serious spammer or troll come in, follow this plan of action.
1. EMAIL ME THE THREAD please do not email me without including a hyperlink to the thread. i will use this link to speedily lock or remove the offensive content. please dont assume someone else will. i dont mind duplicate emails. and also, i am connected to the internet 98% of my day. at work i have 4 computers running in my office, at home i have 2, and on the go i have a 3g PDA. i can always lock or delete a thread. i will even give u my cell phone to text me if u promise not to abuse it =P
2. MAKE A NEW THREAD with OT in the titles. for example. "OT: Targaped the wackjob". This will be a place where the drama can run free (inside it's cage) and wont infect the whole board.
3. COPY AND PASTE any important information into this thread. for example, the offending posts or the details on why mr douche bag owes you money/parts etc etc. feel free to include quotes and links. this will help me convince simon that something needs to be done in the future. Simon is very prone to avoid banning because its not super easy to do and its a measure that he doesnt like to use. for example though with nate, you all gave me examples of the horrible shit and i was able to forward that to him. Please make my payless job a little easier on me.
4. STOP RESPONDING IN OTHER THREADS troll threads will be locked/deleted, troll posts in normal threads will be deleted. If you respond to a troll post, then that post gets deleted, you will look like a nutbag or an asshole. it takes too much work for me to delete your responses to the trolls posts so most of the time i leave them up. this can be very confusing to people who never saw the troll post to begin with.
5. FLAME AWAY please feel free to saw whatever the hell you want to the troll IN THE OT THREAD. call him a child molester, creepy old dude, fucktard, asshat, twatwaffle whatever floats your boat. but please, only do it in the OT thread. Duplicate OT threads will be deleted.
This method will give everyone what they want. it will give the general discussion section some breathing room by only have ONE THREAD about the drama of the week, It will give us E-Warriors a chance and place to have our fun, it will give the troll the attention he/she desires and it will make it so people who prefer to avoid drama can do so by NOT OPENING THE OT THREAD.
This plan also allows for a little more deviation and is not dependent on the entire website following a hive mentality in order to SHUN THE TROLL.
I promise to do the best i can to keep the spam threads off the boards if you promise to cooperate with me. The whole music discussion/youtube vid post was a really funny idea but was kinda defeating the purpose. it just bumped the nutbags thread over and over.
If you see a newbie reacting dont worry, dont respond to them on mopedarmy. shit will get deleted anyway, if u have the time please email them the link to this thread. most of us are smart enough to pick up on the social dynamic without help anyway.
and lastly, you guys are awesome. i have been really impressed and delighted in the way that you all have banded together in order to deal with the most recent troll. the music threads were hilarious, targaped keep popping in to let us know he WAS NOT READING OUR RESPONSES lol, the whole Peace.Jerry for posting on how to ignore trolls and Motobrokane for taking the time to make a post asking for a ban . Once that thread was made it gave a place for the drama to live so it didnt seep into the rest of the community and based on that i think this new method will work great.
So lets give this a shot, i have high hopes.