First Moped

Hello. My name is Tom, and I just picked up my first moped from the junk yard. I am looking to restore her, what I believe to be a 1970 - 1980 Columbia Commuter. I attached a picture, maybe someone will recognize and pinpoint its exact year. The motor looks decent, however I would like to replace all of the controls and the carb to start with. I just wanted some expert insight into if this restore job would be worth the work that it needs, as well as any technical insight into what I should look out for, and any leads on parts that I need for this machine. Thank you for your help, and thank you to the creators for starting this community.

Tom

1214188141_dsc00186.jpg

Re: First Moped

I don't know the exact year but you could compare yours with the one in the photos section. Also check out Fred's guide in the resources section. Have fun and get that thing rolling!

there should be an id plate on the fork head...

That is the water cooled Solo engine, which is rare to me. I would only buy parts that are needed. If you have the carburator, be thankful that you do , since it may be a rare. Do not take the head off, since the water will come out. This moped you have most of the time has a Sachs engine on it, which is well liked and easy to find.

Would it be worth it to purchase the sachs motor and components, or stick with the current motor? Also, does anyone have a source for all the controls, such as the throttle, choke, and brake components? I am really looking to replace all of these said components. Thanks,

Tom

Solo motors have a good reputation, I would keep it if you can.

I love how its called the commuter. thats quite awesome. good luck with it buddy!

keep that solo engine, it's too cool to just ditch my loca yard has one of these so if you need engine parts I'll have a looksy. The controls look like standard issue Magura so a throttle from just about anything European should fit. you have a carb on there but no air box, you'll need one. See if that engine turns over at all, if it does you should have it running in no time. Also check and see what carb it has, it looks kinda like a dellorto.

Try 1977mopeds for controls.

« Go to Topic — end of thread