Advise for a new owner

Dan Haines /

Hi folks, I've just become the proud owner of a Yamaha MS50.

It's my first bike, and I really know nothing about them at all.

Its only done 1200 miles, and has a fresh MOT Inspection. The previous owner has refilled the transmission with fresh oil.

The shaft drive does whine slightly on over-run, the p/o wasn;t sure if they are supposed to do that anyway, as he's never owned a shaft driven moped before.

Any advise as to what to look after and any essential maintenance would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

1214148044_cf4d_12.jpg

Advise for a new owner

Nice pic!

Re: Advise for a new owner

Ben Van Zoest /

Why do you want it going so fast that the engine capitulates

and cause soo much harm to it's inards, have mercy.

Dan Haines /

I honestly have no idea what you are on about?

...and I've not even driven it on the road yet, I've done about 10mph in the car park!

Before you follow any advice found on Moped Army get at least three other opinions. Some people here know what they are talking about (usually that is) but some know very little and sound as if they know a lot. The best bet is to get a service and repair manual from your manufacturer. Read up about 2 stroke engines. Get a tire iron or two from a motorcycle shop for changing your tires and fixing flats .. these tools will save you money in damaged tubes and tires. Drive defensively.

You should check the grease in the rear hub, it's got a gear drive there, the shaft it's self is suspended between the transmission output which is supported by it's own bearing and the rear hub input which is also supported by it's own bearing. The drive shaft is therefore non lubricated and non maintenance. Your wining comes either from the tranny or the rear hub. If that is a 2-speed engine treat that tranny like it's made of gold because they are pretty rare . The rear hub can take gears from a pw50 which will get you a higher top end on many Yamahas. That is a great looking bike and not very common. luckily most parts can be had for very little from your local yamaha dealer. You'll love riding it. They are extremely reliable and very comfortable to ride.

You can go here:

http://mopedriders.org/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2

and down load the owners manual and shop manual for a

Yamaha model QT50 which is very similar to your unit.

They should give you some general pointers.

Got your MOT yet?

Dan Haines /

Awesome, thanks for the links for the Owners/Workshop manual.

I'll check the ring gear to see if there's sufficient grease.

The moped had a new MOT before it was delivered.

Dan Haines /

Thanks for the advise, after 'googling' PW50 ring gear, I've seen a lot of advise for switching the QT50 ring gear INTO a PW50 to make it quicker, therefore if I switch a PW50 gear into my MS50 (QT50) won't that make it slower?

« Go to Topic — end of thread