Sachs Balboa Biturbo mounted...

Haven't run it yet as it's actually going on the green balboa, this was just a mock-up on an under construction bike, but I think this should do well! I've read that these pipes can't take the abuse, so I figured some sort of spring set-up would work well. It's the tomos two piece biturbo. My bro welded the original sachs header onto it for me.

The balboa benefits from a removable exhaust mount which is definitely in the way, so I pipe clamped to the swing arm. Not pretty, but functional! One day I'll have a "professional mount" done up...

Pedals clear with plenty of room.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the green Balboa's engine back together so I can give this a test run!

Re: Sachs Balboa Biturbo mounted...

Nice Job! but why didnt you use the original exhaust hanger arm to mount it?

It was too low. It was about 3 inches below where it is now. Also, when mounted flush, the exhaust was too close to the back tire and hung down too low for tight turns. I had a spacer configuration all figured out, but realized it was going to be too low still.

When down that low, the header is crooked on the cylinder also...

So all in all, I figured better to toss it up on the swingarms.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the swing arm is the worst place to mount it, because the swing arm moves up and down with the rear suspension. That means it will bounce the rear of the pipe down and using all of the leverage of the pipe, it will break off your cylinder studs. Since a sachs motor doesn't have studs (I think it's a clamp spigot) that won't exactly happen to you, but it will most likely rip that thing off.

thats probably not gonna hold up.I would either have him make a piece that tucks under that swingarm pivot bolt, or attaches to the footrest bracket....maybe a long piece of 1/2" wide heavy flat bar....in time thats going to damage the cyl attachment from vibration....that is probably more stress than no rear attachment at all...sorry but my opinion....

I'm having something fabricated to attach to the previous exhaust mount drill hole on the frame. I realize the swingarm moves, hence the spring on the exhaust. This isn't my permanent solution, this is my "I need an exhaust on my bike because the sachs one bit it" solution.

a swing arm can move more than 5 inches your spring probably can't so yeah get a new mount then try it

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account