Best way to find peds?

I'm having a terrible time locating a new ped.

Im rocking a qt50 with no ignition, battery, headlight, or title,

Looking for a puch pinto, mag, or something toptanked.

Craigslist is seeming to be full of ripoffs, and ebay isnt showing much promise.

Any suggestions?

Re: Best way to find peds?

The buy/sell forum is how i found mine.

garage sales

I live in the burbs, where no one knows what the hell a ped is.

It's terrible.

The buy sell thread is good, but nothing in/around chicago!

The burbs is actually the best place to get them. All the kids that had them in the 70's and 80's grew up, moved out and just left them in their parents garages. Now, the parents want to get rid of them but have no fucking clue how valuable they are. They want them gone, we want them bad, It's a fucking win win. Just start knocking on doors bro, I aint joking, it works!

post some signs in your neighborhood stating you buy pedal mopeds.

post some signs in your neighborhood stating you buy pedal mopeds.

This. It works for Denver...

While riding my 1958 Allstate around the other day, I had a guy pull me over to tell me he knew where another one like mine was, and that I had a good chance of getting it for free.

Just ride and appreciate them, and they will notice. Then they will slowly follow you home.

---_DeeZy_

I've had good luck buying my peds on craigslist:

Tomos Bullet, running, titled - $300 (my first)

Avanti Autopower, not running, engine in parts, titled - $50

Motron Sprint, not running, no title - $50

Puch Newport, running poorly, titled - $100

Moby 50V, not running, no title - $100

i used to check ebay every day, and then i found mine on craigslist. cycletrader.com also has a section for scooters and mopeds, perhaps try there

Wear a "50cc... anything more is just showing off" t-shirt all the time and wait until people say "I have an old moped in my garage...."

Half of Craigslisting is pretty much luck. All of the good finds get scooped up immediately.

I randomly happened upon an ad for free non-running Suzuki fa50 two minutes after the guy posted it. Luckily I was the first to call and found out pretty much all it needed was a new spark plug and some tlc. The guy told me he got at least 20 calls after mine before he took down the ad half an hour later.

Be persistent with checking Craigslist and check out other boards from nearby cities or suburbs if you don't mind traveling a little to pick it up.

Yeah cragslist ads for peds get swamped with calls, usually last less than a day before they get taken down, if you don't call in the first hour, forget it. It's just a matter of checking every evening, and calling asap. I was caller number two on a 200 dollar puch last week, this week i was first in line and got a smooth running Barely used Garelli, beat the other guy by less than a minute.

I have to give away my search secret, but check listings for Scooters, a lot of folks don't care like we do, and those are the ones you can get cheap.

Another tip: I have craigslist RSS feeds set up on my phone so I can check for updates anywhere I am!

Searching the burb garages is a good suggestion.

I live near a town that was once a lake side resort back in the day,

Crystal Lake, ill make some fliers around.

Taking my one working ped out on the street is a scary thought,

It floods way to easy, goes hardly 28, has no working electronics, or title.... yeah.

I have a few prospects on CL,

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/727898895.html

Gonna try and beat him down to 200

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/727071967.html

Estate sales, Craigslist, College towns, Scrap metal dealers, Trailer parks, Old used car dealers, Motorcycle repair shops. If you're in the mid west I hear and see an awful lot of peds coming out of Wisconsin.

pennysaver/swap sheet ads are only $6 for 2months.

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Post and they will come.

Post an ad that says you want a ped in Chicago on the buy sell forum, too. Someone probably has one that they want to sell. You just gotta ask.

ride!! It seems like someone chats me up almost everytime I ride. probably scored 5 or 6 peds just from riding.

I read somewhere, was it here?, some years ago a guy'ad taken that white spray paint they use for used car windows and delclared his willingness to "buy your used moped" and his telephone number on the rear windows of his van. Claimed that it was very successful.

Probably true that the suburbs are the best places to find these. Just like was said, lots of kids had them in the seventies and have forgotten by now that they are resting on flat tires underneath the old shovels and spare boards in mom and dads' garage. But four to five dollars a gallon is going to REALLY drive demand for this stuff through the roof. Act now.

ive got three postings on CL now, advertising buying peds, ill give shouts to anyone else in chi town if i find a smoking deal that I cant take.

Thanks for all the advice!

« Go to Topic — end of thread