Craigslist bike delema HELP!

I need some help here...

I sold a bike on craigslist the other day, and a day later it already has a problem.

What is the right thing to do here? I sold the bike running fine, and the guy test drove it 7 miles before closing the deal.

But, I do feel bad. should I help him out with $$ or is this a done deal. I’ve never sold anything that crapped out like this so I don’t really know how to handle it.

On the one hand I feel bad, but on the other It was sold, and when It was sold it was A-OK. I never had any problems with it in the 5 or 6 years I owned it, and I put over a 100 miles on it the week I sold it.

what do you think

Re: Craigslist bike delema HELP!

Edward Richardson /

This is a test of who you are and that will dictate your response. To do differently will eat at you.

Do what you feel is right. I bought a bike on craigslist and it crapped out and I called the guy and he told me to bring it to him and he fixed it on the spot. Twice. I know there are no guarantees with an older "machine" but if you can help I think you should. Just think of the Karma cycle. What would you expect if you were the buyer. That's my 2 cents.

What exactly happened to the bike??

It apparently has a stuck clutch. Its a tomos A-3N motor.

It will run on the stand or when moving, but stalls when the rear tire is stopped.

I'm going over to the persons house tomorrow to try and fix it, but I'm not sure I can fix that with out major tools.

I hope its just an Idle problem, but We've tried a bunch of things over the phone and so far, no luck.

Nah man, if he rode it before sale then all sales are final....for realz.

What would you want him to do if the situation were reversed?

I'd say offer some of your time and the tools you've already got. If you determine it needs a new part or some sort of specialized tool, the buyer should pick up the tab on that and maybe you can help install it or fix it. I don't think you're obligated to help him, but it'd sure be a nice thing to do if you did. (Just my opinion, though).

all craigslist sales come with a 5 mile or 5 year warranty (whichever comes first)

If I bought a bike on CL and rode it before I bought it I would expect nothing from the seller if something went wrong after I got it home.

If you arent capable of diagnosing problems in a 7 mile ride then you shouldnt be buying a vintage moped...straight up.

Take someone with you if you cant do it yourself.

no dice!!

Its a used ped

BryAn eurism /

CRAIG will fix it for free!

That 1st speed clutch is so easy anyway I'd just do it, most likely it busted and that happens. You'd only be down $50 more or less. Much more if you sold it for $75-100

he should learn how to fix shit himself.

it wasn't broken to begin with.

He broke it.

§ćŗάτçλmªřċ • /

Have a fix-it day and maybe you can start a club? The moped gods work in mysterious ways.

~marc

« Go to Topic — end of thread