DAMNIT, I broke rings tryin' to install new piston

I have shaky hands to begin with so I was not looking forward to installing the new piston and rings for my moped (Tomos). Lo and behold I started putting some real pressure on the cylinder as I'm doing my best to compress those motherF$$&$#@ rings and SNAP!! SNAP!! omg.....

I am bummed...

Re: DAMNIT, I broke rings tryin' to install new pi

really

yeah really, i am pissed

gotta call ike tomorrow for new rings now

ItsLookingUp /

Are you sure you had them aligned? There is a pin inthew slot on the piston where the rings ends are suppose to meet. Sounds like you didn't have them lined up.

That's a bummer.

i lined them up the best i could. I just f'in broke em as I put pressure on the head and let go of the ring at the last moment

really

that must suck

so... can i get rings anywhere local like at a napa or something for like a lawn mower? it seems like such a generic part

i was wundering that myself

david f martin /

I doubt you're gonna find the right rings at an auto parts or hardware store.

When you get your new rings from Ike, before you put them on, soak the rings and new piston in oil (like 30 weight) for a little while before you install them. This was suggested to me by an OLD old school mechanic, and it did seem to make it easier to install.

You might be able to fab up a ring compressor from a soda pop can, too. Just don't forget about that lineup pin, as ItsLookingUp suggested.

david

What did I tell you guys ?

Reeperette /

Over and over I've said this - whenever you order Tomos Piston rings, ALWAYS ORDER DOUBLE.

It's just too flamin easy to break them when you put them in, and even I snap em on occasion, so be prepared, and always order two sets instead of one, and you don't wind up in this situation...

So Matt ? order FOUR, not two, rings this time, ok ?

Take your time, be patient, but above all, be prepared.... especially with the A5(A35) rights, since they're even thinner, almost wisplike, and snap even easier than A3 rings.

Always, always, without exception, order double rings for Tomos, ok ?

-R

Re: What did I tell you guys ?

Not only that, clean out the grooves in the piston. Any stuff and junk in there won't help you. It also helps you find your pin, the easiest way to snap those rings. You can also find and eliminate any weird spots on the grove.

You shouldn't need a ring compressor- Most (I hope yours) mopeds have a taper on the cylinder that helps you put the rings in, without any other tools. You do have to have the pin and gap lined up.

will do. btw, is a piston ruined if one of the pins in damaged? i was thinkin about just fileing the pins down anyhow.

Don't get rid of the pins, they are there for a reason. If the pin is gone, the ring will walk around, and get stuck in one of your ports, breaking the ring while your motor is running, ruining a ring, your piston and possibly your bore.

That's why a piston from another make of moped usually won't swap even if the bore is the same size.

Two is better than one...

Yeah Matt, Make sure you line up the gap in the rings to the bead in the groove on the piston. It is much easier to have someone help you. Get them lined up and sqeeze them, then have someone else, slowly slide the cylinder back. Your mom could even do help you. I held the rings the other day, while my girlfriend slid back the cylinder for me. It worked out great. Two is better than one!

Tomos Retaining Pins.

Reeperette /

While we're on the topic tho - CHECK THOSE PINS FOR WEAR.

I've had this happen more than once, and MAN does it piss me off - for whatever reason those pins wear down fairly quickly, all things considered, and your rings "walk around", get hung up and SKREEEIIITTCCHHH, there goes your bore.

I hate that, I really do, so make sure the pins are not worn down when you put the new rings on, if they are, consider fronting for a new piston&rings kit, they only run about $30 on average, and it's well worth not screwing up your cylinder, ok ?

-R

Re: Tomos Retaining Pins.

i knew it!! I KNEW IT!! my piston is shot too!! :(

thx reep

Matt Wilson /

I usually assemble the piston and rings into the cylinder and then put the whole unit on at once. While the cylinder and piston are partially suspended, put the wrist pin rings on the ends.

Because you can put everything together off the bike, Its usually easier to prevent breaking things.

Matt

Some cylinders have access holes on each side at the bottom so that one can do what Matt suggested (put the piston and rings into the cylinder while it is off the engine, mount the cylinder, and then insert the wrist pin and retainer clips through the access holes.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account