master BOSTON moped ride, vol. III

where to next week? i was thinking maybe following comm ave all the way through newton, and then to moody street for dinner and back? its a good 10 miles or so each way, with a lot of straight road and space between lights. pretty brutal uphill on the way back, though we could avoid comm ave.

anyone else have other ideas?

Re: master BOSTON moped ride, vol. III

That sounds pretty tight...those back roads especially Comm Ave are sweet! Lots of places to nosh over in the Watch City area...we can also cruise in the back of the 'Tham' to the old Waltham watch factory...it's not abandoned but a good piece of history.

That's a good ride. Probably would be smart to take Beacon St. up to Cleveland Circle and then jump over to Comm. Some deadly hills on Comm ave as it goes through Allston.

Last time I took that route, I did exactly that - Allston is a pain anyhow with all the traffic! Completely agree...

I just hope I can get my rear wheel to stop squeeking before the ride on Wednesday. It's freaking annoying. I was able to get my carb to stop leaking yesterday by making a float bowl gasket out of some sheet cork, but as soon as I fixed that I noticed that my tail light stays on ALL the time now insead of when I depress the break lever. This is going to be the first real ride I've taken my bike on since I got it running, so I'm a little nervous that it's going to explode.

if there's too much space between lights, you'll have to send sabat back after me again.

I usually go this route and cross over 128 into Weston... right at the first light and up a beautiful country road past the Country club... then I cross rte2o into Weston and take this awesome windy tree lined backroad uo 117 up into lincoln and then on to the Starbucks in Concord for a snack...

I know a great road that turns off Comm ave just at the entrance to 128 and runs along a ridge parallel to 128 heading towards Waltham and it empties onto 20... where we can ride into Watch city from there... and we can return through Watertown back into Cambridge or Boston!

I lived in Lincoln and know all the back roads in horse country!

Daniel, you need to take me through Lincoln - I got lost there but I know there's some serious potential for group rides out that way - flat lands and no lights seems a lot better than fighting traffic around the Boston Common...

nah i should be there with ya susan this wednesday just follow the noise

Sure! what are you doin tonight?

I'm heading out to the Auto parts store... I'll swing by on the way home and see if you are around... "I want to show you how the Sachs turned out..

Jo Ho welded the pipe for me and painted the Simoni lettering red with heat resistant paint to match the ped... it looks awesome!

anyone feel like helping me set up my new carb tomorrow, if i cant get it done tonight? its pretty frustrating so far.

Hey Jay

What kind of carb?

dell'orto 15.15. i got a custom intake for it, and now my low end acceleration is way better (but still slower than most). i think i actually got it going a lot better now, and can probably finish it up myself. i must have had an air leak earlier, because it started idling out of control, and i couldnt get it to stop, which was infuriating me. now its running a lot better. i think i just have to upjet as im running a little lean, but i bought a whole bunch of jets, so that should be easy.

oh yeah hey il go pick up your bearings and seals tomorrow if they are open

Nice... I have a 19mm Dell'orto on the Sachs and I'm in the process of tuning it... what a bitch! lol

bah bah maybe ill take a 20 mph moped this time....

~SABAT!

plug chops are easiest way in my eyes, those dellorto phgb have needles too, i can help you with that.

~SABAT!

Nice sunny day!

anyone riding today ?????

I was all over cambridge today, if someone wants to meet up and mopedize hit my aim: oosoloboy

http://www.pierremenardgallery.com/

come to this gallery opening tonight in harvard square

see you there

anyone want to ride out to nahant tomorrow morning? its not supposed to rain until the evening

Sure what time?

I'll be available anytime after 11

Hey Jay, the ride sounds rad tomorrow, wish I could go, I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone. I won't be able to make it because coincidentaly, I''m planning my wedding which is taking place in Nahant! My fiance and I are going to be out there so I'm definetely going to keep my eyes out for you guys.....can't wait to see that baty in person. Sounds like you know what's up with the Batavus' and I was wondering if next weekend, or even Wed. before "the otherside ride" we could maybe get together and you could school me on a couple of Batavus specific pointers? I have a VA "77" I think, and I call it the "Violet Viking!" I'm a complete noob and proud of it, I know people were discussing the possibility of fix-it sessions and this is something I would def. be stoked on. Hope you have fun tomorrow! Late!

crap, im not going ot have time for a ride tomorrow - i was thinking of doing this one early enough that im probably not going to want to wake up in time anyways.

david - there are a lot of little things i dont know about the batavus. today, for instance, i couldnt figure out what was wrong with my rear wheel, and it turns out (as mopedjay thought) the freewheel was destroyed. now i know, i guess. but still, i can tear down and rebuild the clutch and the carb and the wheels, etc. with my eyes closed. at this point, ive taken apart pretty much every part of the bike except the engine case.

the va is key, especially if you have the larger VA header pipe. we can meet up early at around 6 on wednesday, if you want. im pretty sure i could get there by then (though not 100%). or if you wanted to ride out here to jp sometime, i could show you then.

Awesome Jay! I'm not 100% on Wed. either, but I will absolutely keep you informed as I've noticed that neither you or I are ever on this website.(haha) A ride out to J.P sounds rad as I live in Malden and that would be such a cool cruise. Thanks so much for your help!

If we go to Newton I know a cool road that you take the 128 entrance to and bear right onto this cool back road that runs along the Charles and then crosses over 128 onto another awesome road that runs parallel to 128 high on a ridge to rte 20 where we can turn right and go right ito Waltham...

Hey Bro's,

I know that I need to register my ped through the registry, 40$ for two years right? However, I'm not sure if I need the title or any other information to register it which would suck because I have none of it. Also, do I need to bring my ped to the registry to register it? I live 5 minutes from the melrose/malden registry so this would not be a problem but I'm assuming that I don't need to bring it there. Any words of advice?

theoretically, you need a bill of sale. just forge one and bring it with you. most people never even get asked for it - i didnt. you will also need the vin no. and model info. other than that, nothing. you do not need to bring it with you.

Hey all, just went for a jaunt for the weekend up to VT, but I'm back - looking forward to this Wednesday after having my fair share of time in a car!

Man oh man I saw some killer roads up there that made me jealous that our friends up north can keep such roads to themselves three hours away...but also a lot of unfriendly hills.

BIG ups to a place called American Flatbread in Waitsfield - if you haven't been there and have passion for pizza, this is a New England Mecca! All items are locally organically grown, and the place is only open for dinner Friday and Saturday nights. The place is so popular, you have to get on the wait list by 4 to be seated at 5 or 6! This was my second time there and I have never felt so good after 1 1/2 pies...it's so fresh (they cook it in a wood-fired hearth in the middle of the dining area) I felt like I could eat more! It's officially turned this New Yorker into a believer that there's good pizza to be had outside of the tri-state area. FYI, they have it frozen in small quantities in Whole Foods if you want to sample, but it's not nearly as good.

Also attempted to see if I could find any mopeds out that way - sadly, it looked more like quad country. Guess the hills are a deterrant? Oh well...hope you all had a great weekend!

- P