How can I make my Jawa Moped faster

I got a 1980 Jawa 1 Speed Automatic moped. It only goes about 15-20 mph. IT SUCKS!!! i cant keep up with my friends. 2 of my friends have a Tomos and my other friend has a Puch. They smoke me going 35-40. How can i make it go faster? Or should i just buy a new moped?

1213977189_0616081027.jpg

Re: How can I make my Jawa Moped faster

what besides a rocket motor?

There's not much you can do to a jawa I know of. You could try to retro fit a exhaust of a puch and switch over to a Dello carb.

well what about taking the govener off?

moped really don't have a govener . They usually restrict the exhaust or intake. I never worked on or seen what a Jawas' Intake looks like and where it goes in at. The motor looks a little like a puck knock off. Your friend with the puch see if he has a share intake and compare the two.( I might be totally wrong)

That's a pretty bike! Take off your exhaust and clean out the carbon. Make sure the exhaust port on your engine isn't plugged up either. Drilling three holes in the end of your exhaust should de-restrict it a bit.

tie it to the back to a truck, then put on a helmet.

Jawa experts!! They know more about your bike then I ever could

would i also have to take the silencer off?

should i change my piston rings? would it help

No, you don't have to do anything but drill three holes in the back of the exhaust. I can post a picture sometime later if you need. Do the current piston rings look worn out at all? If you have a set of fresh ones it couldn't hurt to throw them on. Just remember to line up the gap in the ring with the little bump in the ring slot on the piston when you put the new ones on.

Vlado vlado /

Tyler, search Jawa history on this forum in repair and performance sections- go about 6 months back- there is a lot written about this, plus pics.

I have '82 Jawa Supreme2 with the same engine as you, after Dell'Orto carb and the pipe it goes 40+ on flat!!!

At meantime decarbonize exhaust port and the whole muffler including the elbow pipe, drill three holes- (see pics when searching)- to the back of muffler plate and replace air filter with foam/pod one- it should help a lot!

Intake pipe for original carb is a joke, if you will get D.O. carb get 14mm intake pipe from Puch and make it fit as I advised on before mentioned forum sections.

Good luck!

Vlado

anything else???

Put on some brand new tires. Also, putting stickers on your gas tank will give you an extra 5 mph.

toe fur threadkiller /

tune your exhaust belt.

Shove it off the roof

You can oil your magneto and tune your carb intake bearings

Jake Shaughnessy /

sell it and get a better ped

put a 125cc lifan on it, they bolt right up!!!

Jessus Christ! what are you trying to do kill the kid. He's 14. Give him a couple of years of wrenching.

wait does the lifan really bolt right on without much work? good to keep in mind.

smaller rear sprocket

George Smith /

don't think it bolts right up...

How can I make my Jawa Moped faster

kim jensen /

I have the same bike. You should be going 25 with it.

Try to clean and derestrict the exhaust. Take out the baffles if you can and drill a few more holes in them. Check you air filter and idle and air screws. The RHs screw is for air mix.

Screw it all the way in, then back it off 3/4 turn.

If your exhaust is smokey, you probably need crankshaft seals (like mine) but it should do 25 no problem.

Good luck!

KBJ

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account