tomos how good are they really?

Just how good are they?

Re: tomos how good are they really?

They are the best you can get, if you are in the U.S., they are all you can get. IMO, they are the best moped ever made, as far as quality and reliability. So reliable they are a little boring. I'll keep my Tomos, but I still want a Moby. Peace. Jerry.

junkyarddog/Highoctane, thanks for the response the last new moped I bought was a 1974 Vespa ciao. I think I want to get another one but want one that will last like the vespa.

Me I think that my tomos is a really good bike. It had sat in a barn four 5 or 6 year with out a piston spark plug and had rust in the clinder but after about a week (did not have all the parts at the time) i got her running really good and she is still running with little problems (the little problems where soemthing I did to it) but other then that she is still comeing really strong.

Bought a 2008 ST in Sept 2007. I have over 4 thousand miles on it and no mechanical problems.

Not the only ones you can get, northern hydraulics sells the tfr moped to this day but they are not new anymore. Tomos builds a good bike but I think they are ugly as hell..except for the '70s step thrugh models. They make a good bike..but not nearly as classy as a motobecane.

Jerry if I find a nice motobecane here in MN if I were to buy it would you buy it from me? I would sell it to you for what I paid plus shipping....e-mail me and we can talk about this...I would like a master mechanic to have a bike like this, they are beautiful machines, check out mabecane mobylette.com for mucho info on the best moped ever made! I put over 8,000 trouble free miles on my first one! Chrome lined cylender...variated...mobys are yummy..if you ever get one use stock mix of 32:1 with castrol 2t Once you ride one all othger mopeds suck...it is the harly of mopeds smooth ride and a heavy machine, my moby even in its bad state of repair rides smoother than my Hobit. The moby engine runs like a watch the driveline is not right .......yet! And yes I run a stock gurtner!

In '84 bought a 78 motobecane 50v and put 8,000 on it only things replaced were both brake cables and one rear tire.

they are annoying in1st gear, one they ease into second they are rather pleasant.

ok guy bear with me, please....I like the sprint for it's simplicity, but, I also like the "tank top" models, which are more popular? I plan to strip the thing down a bit and improve the exhaust and intake, what are the best parts and suppliers? can someone direct me to another sitefor these answers?

TIA, Oldmope

yea in first gear when your going slow it jerks alot so it feels kinda wierd

Jerry...

I beg to differ with you...

They are certainly NOT the best moped ever made...

That's just NUTS!

best moped still being made.

if it were me i'd buy a sprint and go from there. cant beat 1000 bucks, all the other junk they throw on the upscale models is just extra weight, most of it ugly plastic.

Tomos are super reliable, really easy to work on and a joy to ride... I have an 08' Sprint and couldn't be happier.

they are really shitty scooters

If you like the top tank models, check out the LX. It is basically a Sprint (same frame, same engine), with a crossbar welded to it to mount the top tank. If you intend to install a performance exhaust on it, the Sprint, ST, or LX is the way to go. They all use the same old pressed steel frame that Tomos has used since like forever, and are well proven. The Streetmate, Streetmate R, and Revival are mostly plastic, with a welded tube frame. This is my opinion only, BTW, but I do have close to 15,000 trouble free miles on an '03 ST, and that is a fact. I myself prefer the stepthrough models, as that is what I had back in the '70s, plus I ride in the bike lanes, which is technically illegal here, but the cops leave me alone. I'd probably get busted right away on a top tank, because they would think I was riding a motorcycle in the bike lane. Peace. Jerry.

That is, of course, just my opinion, but it is based on 20,000 trouble free miles on 3 Tomos mopeds, 14,000+ on one of them. I have also owned and ridden an Angel, a Peugeot, a TFR, a Solex, and currently have a Puch ZA50. I suppose you know of something better?

I will give that some serious thought. Thanks. Peace. Jerry.

LOL

Yes... Any Polini kitted Magnum

I hear those Tomos have horrendous problems with the oil injection! LOL

Did you remove the oil injector on all your Tomos?

10K on my 06 which I flipped, ( damn deer) and still runs well despite being bent. near 10 K on 07 with no problems, 2500 on 08 with no problems. 10 K a year with no major repair is a given with TOMOS. Boring? YES. Reliable, modifiable and upspeedable ????? Damn Right! Cheap and great on Gas? YES. Who is the best? TOMOS! Who is the best? TOMOS! Who is the best? TOMOS! Point A to B able? TOMOS!

uh, they are not scooters. they are MOPEDS.

ATF level and type will change shift properties.

Oh Yeah, I forgot. The '03 that has 14,000+ miles on it had an engine seizure on the way home from the dealer, and was run over by a Suburban at around 5,000. Peace. Jerry.

I've had nothing but problems with my Tomos since I bought it. but I think all of them are due to neglect from the PO I've been so confused how everyone else in the world with an a35 Tomos 10,000 + miles has had no problems. yet my 01 with 1200 miles won't run for more than an hour before something totally different goes wrong and its down for a week or two. but I still have faith based only on how many people say how great they are over and over again. so I'm not giving up. I think I just got a bad apple. damn it. but I still love it for some freaky reason.

Also I met a new Tomos friend today. (there will be years at a time in my area where you won't see a moped at all) She was rockin' a purple Tomos sprint. I asked her if she runs into problems as often as I do. and she looked at me like I was crazy and said "problems??" and said that she has owned it for years and it's never once given her trouble.

The key to getting thousands of trouble free miles out of a Tomos, is to leave it stock, maintain it properly, and ride it properly. A moped is not a dirt bike, they are fairly fragile. All of them, not just Tomos. I did modify my new '08 Sprint, with a foam air filter, rejetted carb, Biturbo exhaust, and 22 tooth rear sprocket. Even though I didn't put a kit on it, it still does 43 MPH, which is a 13 MPH increase over stock. I figure that will probably reduce engine life by at least a third, if not more, but I don't expect any problems for several thousand miles. I only ride it in town, from stoplight to stoplight, so it's not ridden WOT for very long at a time. I have a stock Tomos that I use for long trips out on the open road, where you have to ride on the shoulder anyway. It't the one with 14,000+ trouble free miles on it. I also have just over 4,000 trouble free miles on an '80 Puch Newport, most of them highway miles at WOT. It had 6900 miles showing on it when I got it, but the speedometer cable was broken, so I really don't know what the mileage really was. Anyway, I totally rebuilt the entire moped from the ground up, not just the engine. The 4,000 miles is from after I rebuilt it. It has also been ridden carefully, maintained properly, and is completely stock. I think the only way to solve your problems, is either to rebuild yours from the ground up, replacing everything that shows any wear at all, or start out with a new one, and take care of it. The reason almost everybody on here is constantly working on their mopeds, other than because they want to, and because they put kits on them, is because they buy a used moped, get it running, and ride it. Then something else goes wrong, they fix that one thing, and on and on and on. They don't tear it completely down and rebuild it to begin with. To eliminate problems, everything has to be new, or like new to start with. That comes from the car world, but I don't see why the same thing wouldn't apply to mopeds. Peace. Jerry.

I'd like to hear some input that would be helpful to those who are first-time moped owners of brand-new Tomos bikes.

I've had occasion to ride several brand new Tomos mopeds with A55 engines, and I also have an '08 LX that I've tuned, but it still all stock components. I had not owned a 2-cycle bike for about 30 years, and my first one (a 65-cc Sears made by Puch) seemed to run good right from the start. Of course, that's what I think I remember.

When I started out with my new LX, I was dismayed with how uneven the power output was . . . surging, and making different sounds, etc. I couldn't believe it the design intent was for it to run like that, and I knew from these forums that a lot of people liked them. As it approached the end of its break-in period, I was noticing that sometimes it ran very well, and other times it ran with the surging, vibration, odd sounds, etc. I had figured out that it was running too rich, so I reduced the airbox restriction. I lowered the carb needle. I got it running pretty good, but then the stock exhaust plugged -- a common problem blamed on the catalytic converter. I put on a new stock exhaust, and was amazed at the improvement, until it also plugged. Then I drilled in with a 12" x 3/8" drill through the exhaust outlet hole, and it seems I've permanently eliminated the plugging problem. NOW the bike runs really well (after I opened up the airbox a little more and did a little carb tweaking). But then I got on a new ST (25 miles on the odometer), and realized that it had all the same symptoms I had seen at first with mine. Tried a new LX, and noticed the same things.

I know the Tomos engine is capable of running very well, but I'm curious what other owners of new ones have experienced, and what advice would be helpful to give new owners to help them minimize frustration.

I think you guys (steve, Jerry ) most definitely know what your talking about. I'm not bashing the Tomos in any way nor have I given up on it. I'm close to working out all the problems I think. then after that, if I take care of it. all should be good. But I'm almost positive most of the problems I have fixed are from the PO rigging certain things. I ran into a lot of problems because the original throttle cable on it had no adjuster somehow. then the throttle slide stripped out. I think it must have been screwed with a bunch. and its all in good shape. but there are hints that Its been abused. I got it from a farm in VA so I think most of its life it saw dirt roads. it has a bit of random rust spots from rock dings. hell I even found corn in the bike behind the carb. freakin' corn! but I think some of the problems are mopeds are new to me. and I'm on my own (other then online help) because all my friends got their peds at the same time. part of all the problems I think I'm having is lack of specific knowledge to deal with the problems as they happen. I just fixed my most recent problem tonight. its been driving me crazy for the past 2 weeks. apparently the bike just needed gas. and now I know that if I have a quarter of a gallon of gas in my tank apparently that means nothing to this specific moped. or maybe my reserve tank is clogged? but either way I think it will be fine after I finish replacing the wear parts as I have been. and learn the bike a liitle better.

The new '08 Tomos Sprint, ST, and LX with the A55 engine and PHVA carb are capable of running very well when properly tuned, but they are not tuned well from the factory. The stock exhaust not only plugs up, it's really restrictive even when new. Same thing with the stock air filter. They were designed to meet EPA emissions. The A55 has large ports, and when you open them up so they can breath by installing a performance pipe, a less restrictive air filter, and get the jetting right, they run great. Mine reached 37 mph with just those modifications, but the RPMs were to high. I switched to a 22 tooth rear sprocket, which not only lowered the RPMs, but got me up to 43 MPH, while still using the stock top end. Acceleration off the line is just a little slower with the 22 tooth sprocket, but still acceptable. I can now cruise with traffic on 45 MPH streets. I also have an '03 Tomos ST A35 with 14,000 miles, completely stock, and it runs great. But that was before the EPA came along and messed everything up. Check out tomosmopeds.org, and moped2.org. There are people there that know how to set up a Tomos to run right. Peace. Jerry.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account