Unsealing a sealed beam?

so i want to open up a sealed beam headlight to steal the lens or convert it to a halogen (or something). whats the best way to get the lens unsealed? heat it in an oven to soften the glue? some kind of solvent?

Re: Unsealing a sealed beam?

Rubbing alcohol seems to work well against glues; soak it for awhile and gently pry. Or, get pissed and dremel that shit.

What do you mean by sealed beam? If you mean the kind of headlights cars used to have, and all my cars still have, they are just that, sealed. They are made in one piece, with all the air pumped out. If you break it, or try to drill a hole in it, it will explode. Glass everywhere. Peace. Jerry.

Unsealing a sealed beam?

if you plan on using a solvent to take care of the glue, lighter fluid works quite well.

Light headed bub. /

WHY? all the TOMOS Bulbs have Numbers that can be bought at autoparts stores, for much less than from "TOMOS" dealers. the 25 Watt and 35 watt all have numbers that are available at auto parts dealers. You do not want a 55 watt car bulb. EVERY TOMOS BULB HAS A PART NUMBER THAT CAN BE PURCHASED AT AN AUTO PARTS DEALER.

1. its not a fuckin tomos. mopeds come from other plaves besides slovenia!

2. the bulb is sealed inside the housing, the bulb itself is contaned...its hard to explain. if you've seen a CEV 171 or 172 bulb then you know. its a bulb inside a bulb.

i want to put her in a 12v bulb but keep it factory looking to the T. 12v on the 6V system to help soakup the extra juice the mag will be making when its spinning faster. we have a spare 172 bulb that doesnt work so that one will be the donor.

for car headlight housings i know you just heat them to soften the glue, wasnt sure how this would work here.

I don't think this was quite what you were looking for, but what the hell... they're mostly on-topic:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/109524/109499/

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/455668/455668/

Edward Richardson /

The sealed beam bulb will not shatter if the proper tool is used. First PROTECT YOUR EYES!!! Goggles on before you think about trying this, glass is a b*tch. Place the bulb face down on a rag. Have the circle drawn out that is the right diameter for the halogen bulb. Use a sheet rock screw and a hammer slightly inside of the circle for your first hole. A sharp strike will knock a tiny cone of glass down into the bulb. Repeat at the edge and work your way around, the edge can be worked with tiny chips, go slow. This is how I've done it on automotive bulbs.

the back of the bulb is NOT glass, its the chromed metal reflector. i'd like to either insert a new bulb or save the lens itself for the new setup so it looks original.

i believe it's soldered or brazed in. try applying a good flame (propane torch, for example) to the joint to melt the metal filler

thanks, but now that i look at it...they assemble it like this.

reflector, bulb is put into reflector from the front, lens is placed over and sealed. so the bulbs glass is bigger around than the hole in the back its soldered into! crazy italians. im heating it in the oven again, i got some of the seal off from around the front. heat seems to work!

BryAn eurism /

Hope that hole's big enuf for the new bulb to get thru. Need a trailer bulb socket to hold it. And no ya can't use the one from whence you dwell

got the lens off, the reflector wasnt worth saving. the chrome was bubbled and pealing.

so i have the lens now, i can live with that.

awesome, put the lense infront of a 6V halogen spotlight and it bends the blob into the correct lighting pattern! a little glare above and below but most of the light in a nice wide band.

im thinking of cutting the reflector in this spotlight and gluing it to the lense, and just installing that into the bucket somehow and call it good enough. 55watts one filament vs 20watts and 2 filaments. i'll just wire it so either the high or low switch has the light on so she cant accidentally turn it off with the other lights on and blow a bulb out.

use a hammer

go buy a new-set up, non-sealed beam. then move on.

lmfao!

go to harbor freight and get a 12v off road light. For $10 you can't go wrong!

I use torch to melt the solder, wrap the lens in tinfoil to avoid bubbling the chrome.

the bulb wont come out by desoldering, because the glass bulb is bigger. I've thought about this too dude, you're right, you'd have to melt the caulk out. I'd try gasoline, it eats almost anything plastic-ey. Berrymans B12 chemtool would probably be a good bet too, that stuff takes most paint off. Then maybe i'd try some 3-m caulk stripper- they might even have a special auto adhesive stripper.

I've seen a tutorial on expresslymopeds for converting a sealed beam nu/pa50 headlight, they used a dremel and cut a hole around the bulb in the metal reflector, then epoxied in a light socket for whatever the hell bulb they wanted in there. Thats probably the most direct way because you'll have to cut out the hole anyhow, unless your socket is smaller than the hole left when you desolder the bulb.

I've done it on like 10 express'; you just need to break the bulb; it's easy get it loose so it falls into the lens, then break the bulb with a screwdriver and dump out the bits.

If your new bulb is bigger then hole just open it up a bit with a dremel.

I use H4 bulbs and plugs from the auto parts store.

I know EXACTLY what you are saying dude. I think a better option is to find a non sealed lens that fits in your hl housing. I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm running a kit and want to rock a 12 Bulb. Plus replacement bulbs will be a lot cheaper if I don't have to buy a CEV 172 everytime I fry a head light...

ahhh, yeah, the bulb breaking part is key... why didnt i think of that.

done, i got the lens off the reflector by grinding the lip in a spot and peeling it back like a sardine can with a pair of side cutters at work.

then i just popped the lens off. the chrome reflector was bubbled and not worth saving.

so i went home and took apart a 6volt halogen spot light (55watt bulb i think), lo and behold its reflector fits against the rim of the lens inside the light bezel perfectly! its a garrity spotlight btw, 1 million candle power. whatever that is in lumens should be bright enough for a headlight. with the stock lens infront it looks great and has the correct beam pattern to not blind everyone else on the road!

S800G is the model number of the spot light.

new bulbs for it are about $4, the light itself was free to me. a gift thats sat unused for 6 months since christmas.

so tomorrow at work i'll crimp a spade on the one bare wire, then head to the womans house and install the retaining clips around it, plug it in, and see how well or badly it works! i'm hoping this will be super bright. the stocker was plenty bright.

Sorry for you then that it's not a TOMOS.

i'm glad its not, its got rust and character :)

Don't feel sorry for me dude. I ride a sweet vintage moped with some character. I'm stoked.

well damnit, i bet her new bulb was good!

shes got some sort of wiring problem going on, theres a poor connection somewhere on some wire causing little to no power to the head light. tomorrow i'll get into it with the meter and find what wire has the problem and repair it....or just run all new wires or something.

« Go to Topic — end of thread