do you guys wash your mopeds?

my moped is as grungy as it can get. the mags are caked with dirt, theres chain grease everywhere and all kinds of earty debris sealed into the mess. do you just hose these things down like cars? i would assume not since the air filter and other components may not want to be soaked with water. hmmmm.....

Re: do you guys wash your mopeds?

hand wash

washing your moped is also when you find all the loose nuts and bolts on the bike.

I detail my bikes with a q tip. You could eat off the inside of my rear fenders.

I like to take my moped to those fund raising car washes with the pretty girls. They usually do a pretty crappy job, and you have to make sure to let your bike cool down or one of them is liable to burn themselves, and make sure its not like a highschool sports team or something, but after that you can get some #'s out of the deal, especially if its already obviously been cleaned recently when you get there, girls notice that sort of thing.

No Highschool sports team? Who else does those kinds of washs?

HAHa girl scouts!

Peace b with u

Yup, often. I thought I was meticulous, but I wouldn't eat off the inside of my fenders.

You can remove some dirt and dust with a bucket of soapy water and a rag. Keep it away from the electricals though. Once you get the major goop off:

Carb cleaner is good for getting stuff off metal parts, and degreaser (I have some sort of orange stuff) is good for the rest. Don't let it sit for forever on the paint, though. If the goop is really heavy, scrape it off gently first, then break out the chemicals.

A long skinny screwdriver is good for scraping heavy goop off (just be careful not to scratch anything except the goop) in tight places.

Terry cloth towels are good for soaking stuff up and cleaning easy-to-reach areas. Cut up t-shirts are good for getting in smaller nooks and crannies. If it's an extra-small nook or cranny, use your screwdriver to push the rag into it and wipe away all the glop.

Q-tips are just good in general, as are old toothbrushes.

0000 (extra extra fine) steel wool is good for cleaning chrome.

When you take something apart, clean it thoroughly before putting it back together. Spraying down nuts and bolts with carb cleaner or letting them soak in CLR for a few minutes will help clean them up, but make sure to dry them off well (if you use CLR) or else they'll rust back up again.

Yes I wash my bike. I dont even bother covering up the electricals....then again I run total bare bone wiring.

michael moore /

YES YOU CAN HOSE OFF WITH SIMPLE GREEN ,BUT BE CAREFUL AROUND COIL AND CARB ,I COVER MY CARB WITH ZIPLOC BAGS ,NO PROBLEM .MINES 1991 LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW

I use windex.

Just don't use carb cleaner on paint!

Also use chrome polish on all of the chrome bits. That with some 000 steel wool or a wire brush is excellent for getting out rust, keeping out rust, and making your bike shine like the day is long.

andy i got a boner seeing your garelli all sudsy and whatnot...

Re: I'd rather wash my armpits

lol, I get a boner washing it.

I give it a wipe down every now and then.

i just cleaned mine. took hours. i guarantee half the mud that was on the engine parts was probably 25 years old.

toe fur threadkiller /

i wash mine when i have to pee really bad.

Dirt, grease and grime add character to a moped.

true that jon, I put white fairings on mine to help show off a little more grit. Makes me feel like I'm riding on a battle-weathered X-wing or sumthing.

toe fur threadkiller /

quatto! are you going to dudefest?

i might be down int area for that.

Well for the greasy shit I usually use a little thing of gas and a toothbrush to get in those hard to reach places like around the carb,Other then that I leave my moped dirty.

Ben Van Zoest /

Dunno got the ask the wife I don't complain or she will say do it urself...

topher -

I won't be dudefesting (turns out this is the summer I have to grow up), but if you're taking I-69 to Indy you should make a pitstop at Paynes. Old man Payne is the master of frozen custard, and he knows his shit about mopeds, too.

I keep all my mopeds microscopically clean, and seriously over maintained. But then I have this obsessive compulsive thing...........Peace. Jerry.

« Go to Topic — end of thread