Re: Anyway to tell if my moped is "hot"

Robert Rosselit /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

there is an option... a shady one, You could go and buy a junk frame with a B.O.S. and swap the VIN plates. This is a crime if the Magnum is stolen! The best thing is to go into the DMV and ask them to run the VIN before you try to register it. Here they didn't ask me for my license or anything in the way of contact info just to run the VIN. I suppose if you're the nervous type and they ask you for this info you can always duck out with the old "Shoot! I left my license in the car" and be on your way. Your story doesn't sound implausible as beat up mopeds aren't worth a ton. Check with your DMV. I have yet to have a bike come up hot and I have had to certify my own ownership and have yet to have one come up hot. It also helps to know your local DMV branch offices, In Michigan some are very helpful and others are run by sadistic moped-hating Nazis. Try to avoid one in a high crime area or an area were people tend to bring them shady stuff frequently. Also dress up nicely, have good breath, be cheerful and pleasant, apologize for your disorganization. In general be a pleasant person because they can either help you out or bury you in paperwork.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.