Ok kids, what's it worth??....

I posted earlier regarding my indecision between buying a 78 Hobbit or a 79 Express....well now it seems that the Honda's are out of the picture- well, at least the Express is. What's the opinion on an 85 Tomas Siver Bullet?? Pic is attached.

What's the low-down on the Bullet? What would you pay for it?

Am I better off sticking with the Honda Hobbit?

Again, any input is MUCH appreciated!!

Re: Ok kids, what's it worth??....

tomos are typically easier to find parts for and make faster.

I would buy the Hobbit, but that is what I have more experience with them, parts are not real hard to find for them, Honda dealers still have some and also ebay.

The Honda Hobbit is cooler bike (at the moment at least) Tomos parts are easier and they tend to be easier to work on (so long as it has the offset intake) It's a tough choice for you now, if the prices were the same I'd go for the Tomos just because parts will be so much easier. Both bikes have legendary reliability and both are a joy to ride. The Honda is just a little nicer to ride as the Variater keeps the RPMs down and the Tomos tends to wind way out in first before easing into second, once in second it's great but at the upper end of first gear the vibration from the engine is very obnoxious.

The real answer to this is take them both for a spin and see what you like, either would serve you well for a long time, it just depends on what you like

The price on the Hobbit is $350 (no wiggle room) and the Tomas is $275 and he might be willing to negotiate a bit....

Get them both and live on ramen for as long as necessary.

Thanks, that helps shed some light.

Ha Ha.....seriously, I have until morning to decide between the two. I have a 2 hour drive ahead of me if I go with the Hobbit, so I need to plan ahead a little.

Is it a honda PA50, or a honda PA50 II? The PA50's are reliable as fuck, but are much more difficult to make fast. The PA50 II are easier to make fast. They DO have variators, and variators are fucking sweet. On the other hand, Tomos are simple, easy to get parts for, and there are a lot of performance parts available.

This chart will help you differentiate between a PA50 and a PA50 II.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Honda_PA50I%28PA50M%29_and_PA50II_%2AGeneral_Information%2A

I have a hobbit and I love it and I would love a tomos silver bullet---in addition to the hobbit. I think they look kinda cool.

Note: I couldn't see the picture you attached (this site has a problem with .bmp files, next time try a .jpg) so I'm basing that off of what I know they look like.

You can get both going fast, and can get parts for both. I bought my hobbit because it was what I could get for a good deal at the time. I got it for 200 non-running. It turned out great, I love it so much.

If I was you, I'd go get the tomos for 200 from that guy and call it a day. (if you can't get it for 200, 275 or less still isn't bad)

I guess it also depends on the condition of the peds, if they both run...all that stuff. Assuming same condition, go for the easier to get and cheaper one.

It's a PA50 II -Yellow, of course (I've done my homework...)

Is $275 for the Tomas resonable? Is $350 for the Hobbit?

I honestly don't have any idea. Again, I'm a total newbie.

OH YEAH. make sure that hobbit is not a PA50. Ask the guy if it's red. In 1978, the red ones were the slow and stupid ones. The yellow ones are the fast and coolio ones.

It is th PA50II, and I DO like the yellow....I think that's the problem. Would I be defying all laws of mopedom by painting the Tomas yellow??? ;o)

Is everyone groaning and rolling their eyes at that last post?

Painting it will be harder than you think. If you really like the hobbit, just do it. You won't regret it--unless there's something horribly wrong with it.

Like I said, it depends on what kind of shape they're in. If you're paying 350 for a perfect condish hobbit vs. a 275 pile of poop, then get the hobbit. But if the tomos is in tip top shape and the hobbit....you see what I'm sayin'?

To answer your question: prices vary by area and by condition of moped, but I'd say that these prices aren't too expensive for easily fixible/running bikes.

Paint it and make it yours. The only moped purity law I know of is "Thou shalt love thy mopeds, and tinker with, and ride them as much as possible". The Prices of both peds seem reasonable, fair for both parties, IF.... They are titled, and running. Look for some obvious things that may need immediate replacement or repair, and use them to work on the price, Such as: Old cracked tires, non working lights/ burnt out bulbs, missisng body panels, condition of the seat, throttle, brake levers, switches, grips. Make sure to take a flashlight and look in the gas tanks for rust. Welcome to the Army, and good luck.

I would choose the variated honda you will like the tune-ability in the end as long as it runs properly and is in good condition you will be glad you made this choice in reliability

And don't call it Tomas anymore. It's Tomos. If it were me, I'd buy the hobbit because I have a puch that I've tuned and ported, and I want to learn something new. The tomos will be easier to work on.

As people have already asked. What kind of condition are they in? Are they both running? Are they both running well? Do they both have titles? These questions have a LOT to do with the value.

Tomos, Tomos, Tomos....my new mantra. Maybe it'll stick.

Remember, I am a ped newbie....one who just worked a double shift with only 4 1/2 hrs sleep. Forgive my typo(s)??

How bout those knuckle-heads that pronounce "Puch", "Puck"-

as in hockey puck???? Doesn't that just drive you nuts?! :o{

I'm going to sleep. G'night all.............

With 'peds on the brain? I'll bet not. You'll be up all night thinking about it!

get the tomos it looks just like a puch maxi in the picture people will be like "is that a maxi?" and u will be like "DUH"

thats a nice older tomos and it has the 5 spoke wheels...i would rock it....u can always upgrade to a kitted a 35 later....or I would buy both..i currently have like 6 peds......1 is never enough

Since the Tomos is an 85 its probably an A3 which means you can't easilly upgrade the speed too much, just pipe and upjet and sprocket. But its still a good solid ped and if its both closer to you and cheaper I'd opt for that. Parts are very easy to get and once you get it running well its not likely to die on you. BTW the fact that its a "Silver Bullet" has nothing to do with it being silver, the "Silver Bullet" came in other colors and the same is true of the later "Golden Bullet."

I would not want to pay more than $100 unless it does at least 39 mph,then i may give $250 for it if it is complete. Check the transmision to see if it changes into second gear, do this many time by going fast the let it change gears then stop and start over going fast to make sure the second gear kicks in every time.

« Go to Topic — end of thread