AMF road master... good or bad moped

What is everyones and anyones opinion on a 1979 AMF Road master 50 cc...

1213538302_mopedamf.jpg

Re: AMF road master... good or bad moped

Great, great moped.......For me to poop on!!! Kind of borrowed that from the insult comic dog on Conan. I am not fond of them at all but that is my opinion. Parts are impossible to get from what I have heard. If you buy one, maybe you can mount a Solex front end on it so you have a backup motor in case of problems.

I had a new one, out of the box. The engine on it was no good, but i had another old one that i put a new old stock motor on that this rep had and it ran great. I just got one about a month ago, that had a tree growing up between the motor and the frame. It is complete, except the engine cover and the complete headlight assembly was missing.Anyone got a complete headlight assembly for sale,let me know.How much shipped to Jacksonville, Florida.32244

The best thing about that model. You can leave it unlocked outside and IF some stoles it . The jokes on them. It's about the worst thing to put your money in unless it's free or they pay you to take it. Then it's all most worth the trouble. That model does make a good door stop or paper weight.

If you have a collection of mopeds and wanted it to fill some twisted gap in your collection I'd buy it. It rates high on the "Funkiness Scale" but it is not a daily rider. Just picture yourself cruising wide open at 15mph, then breaking down and being able to pedal at 10mph. This is the life of an AMF owner. I want one for my collection only because I'm looking to get a moped from every country that ever made one and this is the only one that seems truly "American". If you have other bikes that run, and it's say $35 go for it! I wouldn't recommend one to anyone as a first moped at any price as it would only serve to turn them off from mopeds forever.

you're all tarded, the engine-under-frame ones are good. its the engine-over-wheel ones that suck. you need to understand the differences.

one has a mculloh chainsaw engine with no power that never runs and uses friction drive.

the other has a chain driven minarelli V1.

toe fur threadkiller /

i want a solex.

Yes Bitter very good point about the two different models. The one with the minarelli V1 Anyone of us would snatch up. If you would be so kind to refer to the pic Humanaquarian posted. It's the of a ass dragger.

Road trip to Atlanta will get you one, Topher:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/2/186708/186708/

OK, well I bought it for $200! Ha I know piece of poo etc... but I think its neat...Its only been ridden about 200 mi, engine clean, paint clean everything works...except, the carb is missing some piece and I cant get it to idle. But You could sneak this bitch on the Metro link (subway ) and say its a bike, just put some bookbags on the side.. but yeah, its just that I liek things most dont...so yeah rip on me spending 200, but I only spent 150 on my 77 sachs with 14 mi on her, so I guess I would say if its pre 84 and its got less than 200 mi on it, and its all there, Ill buy it...

PS I think Im addicted....

toe fur threadkiller /

yeah, brian, i saw that.....

roadmaster ain't a good moped...

IT'S A GREAT MOPED!

(just kidding... although the amf roadmaster was the first moped i ever saw, I was 5 years old and I was camping. The image was burned into my cerebellum, leading to moped obsession in adulthood.)

toe fur threadkiller /

brian solex, you rule.

when i finally get my hands on one, be ready for emails...

These do not enjoy a good rep, it would be a good camping bike, or to ride around on a large property, but I would not feel comfortable riding on the streets with it.

alright, so you own an AMF... Well there is hope... Consider the fact that there are bountiful and dirt cheap performance parts for gopeds and pocket bikes. If you could crank that sucker up to say 32mph you'd be "The AMF Dude" at the rallies who could keep up with the pack. Ahh $200 is pretty steep but if it's in great shape, heck why not? Like I said earlier, it rates very high in funkieness

First of all, I have a Solex, but I'm not selling it. Second, I also would pay $200 for one of those chainsaw AMF peds in near mint condition, mostly just because I want it. Not sure why.......... Peace. Jerry.

I really have no idea why i bought it, probably just an addictive compulsive disorder type A personality

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en"></param><embed src="

&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

« Go to Topic — end of thread