78 Hobbit (PA50) vs 79 Express II

I'm a total newbie looking to buy my first moped. I'm debating between a 1978 Honda PA50 II or a 1979 Honda Express II. What would you buy??? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, what should I be spending on either moped? (Fair market value) The Express has less than 200 miles, the PA50 has a couple thousand.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Chelle

Re: 78 Hobbit (PA50) vs 79 Express II

PA 50

It's late.

IMHO PA50II is the perfect moped.

dude get both. hobbits are awesome as shit and expresses are reliable as shit.

78 Hobbit (PA50) vs 79 Express II

Kind of hard to pass up an Express 2 with around 2900 miles but the Hobbit is variated and is much better on takeoff and climbing hills. THe Hobbit has pedals that also help on very extreme hills and also is more upgradeable as far as rear gears. The Express can be kitted, piped, and carbed but you are wasting your time doing so since the final drive is fixed and you will do about 5 mph faster than stock. While the Hobbit can be made to go over 50mph.

Thanks for the heads-up! Actually, the Express has only 120 original miles- that's why I'm waffling a bit between the two. I find the Hobbit has more appealing looks, but this particular one has over 2 thousand miles....when a bike is 30 yrs old, does it really matter whether it has 120 miles or 2000??

I'm really not sure about the big picture on this one.

Any input?? Am I being bamboozled when the guy wants $200 more for the Express, just because of the low mileage??

What would you pay for a 79 Express with only 120 miles?

Or a Hobbit with 2000 miles??

Buy them both and sell the Express on egay for about $700 and use the money to upgrade the hobbit. Actually if the Hobbit isn't the PA50II I would just get the Express hands down.

Express, that's some low mileage.

It's a PA50 II. They want $350 for the Hobbit, and $550 for the Express. Which is the better deal? Most bang for my buck?

While we're discussing the Hobbit, does anyone know if you can find/buy baskets (front or saddle) for a Hobbit? I know this is kind of "prissy", but I really plan on using this moped, and I'm not sure if a milk crate on the back will be enough. ;o) I've seen an Express with front, rear, AND saddle baskets (a bit much...), is the Hobbit as versatile?

78 Hobbit is a true moped with pedals. It is what MOPED ARMY is all about. This is what you want. I would not want to pay more than $100 unless it has the keys, headlight assembly is complete and in good condition, side covers are there, and the top covers that covers the engine, the title, if all those items are there, i might give an extra $65.The 79 Express II is a noped, no pedals, and an outcast. If all the items were included i mentioned above, i would not want to pay more than $100 for it,but to be fair about this, after i got it i would try to sell it for at least $399.

No question about it. Its the hobbit hands down.

Maybe I'm biased but I got one... then got two more.

I kinda watch ebay for hobbit parts and I have only seen the rear baskets once, they sold for $50 or something. I had a pair that came with my bike that was pretty beat and sold them on ebay. The front ones show up every once in a while but I have yet to see one in good condition so I haven't considered buying one.

I found the pair currently on my bike on craigslist from a guy selling saddle bags, kinda a random and really lucky. Your best chance is to just buy ones made for a bicycle.

I guess my point is, Yes, there were add on baskets sold with the hobbits, take a look at the one in my profile.

I would take my PA50I over an Express. The PA50II even with the miles is still a better bike. $350 isn't a bad price anymore, it seems everything is way more expensive now that gas prices are up. The Hobbit has bigger wheels, better suspension,and a better center of gravity. You also are much more visible to traffic. You'll be able to get parts easier for the PA50 I believe. Express II is kind of a rare bike with a 2-speed automatic (correct me if I'm wrong) and if that tranny goes you'll have a hard time getting parts. The Hobbit has a simple drive train that is easily serviced. You can put a larger rack on it if you want, I'm sure something can be made to fit.

We're is a good place to find parts for the PA50? I noticed mopedjunkyard doesn't have them.

« Go to Topic — end of thread