Moped idle RPM; Tiny Tach fried

For those using Tiny Tachs or others, should a moped tach read 6,000 at idle (I have a TFR, stock)??? I don't think it should. However mine did. And like a dumbass I rode it and fried it as it went past 10,000. I rode 2T race karts at Bondurant with powerbands at 9000, and they flat out screamed compared to the humble little stock TFR engine.

Methinks two things - I got the wrong one maybe, and obviously I shouldn't have gone off and ridden it. But ... WTF basically. I initially thought maybe it was reading 2x what it should because I wound the inductive pickup wire around the plug wire too tightly (close together) but nope...

Re: Moped idle RPM; Tiny Tach fried

i think its running 6 times too fast but thats just me i think you got the wrong one or you set it up wrong

I know I didn't set it up wrong... very simple. I even re-checked ground and pickup. I think they sent me a 1C (spark every 180 degrees of the crank) or a defective unit.

So idle, as I thought, should be in the 1000-2000 range, somewhere in there?

it should only spark every 360 degrees unless you have a 2 cylinder moped yes idle should be in there, does your idle sound high?

I imagine your idle should be around 1500rpm and something like 7500-8000 WOT.

It's a 1-cyl, kept in good tune, electronic ignition (maybe that's why?). The idle has sounded almost exactly the same for almost 3000 mi.

Yeah, exactly that's what I thought... I thought of my best-ever downhill bomb toward a police radar sign, when it read 41 mph and the sucker just wouldn't rev any higher. Then I compared that to the race karts, and figured I wouldn't exceed about 8000. Crap, now I've either wasted $40 or in some odd fashion will be able to convince the mfr. their product was defective.

Could electronic ignition be the reason why it failed?

It's not fried, just needs to be reset. I had four windings across the plug wire, and it read 4x what it should have (6000 at idle rather than 1500). I will try again tonight. The only other thing he suggested was that perhaps the plug fires twice / rev which I don't think it does...

« Go to Topic — end of thread