Re: master BOSTON moped ride, vol. II

I'm voting for keeping the Otherside the rally place for mopeds in the Boston area/khz...

I agree Phil..

The Other Side is the coolest place around!

ok. as a superdelegate i am will endorse the otherside for this wednesday if thats where the majority of others feel like meeting. works fine for me.

if anyone wants to ride out to franklin park and the abandoned bear cages - it can be a pretty nice ride.

yeah i probably wont be able to make it this wednesday

ABANDONED BEAR CAGES? Lets just meet tonight!!

Oy! I need to get my act together and nail down a date with Alice for a cookout over the summer. We're not going to Minnesota over the 4th as was planned and the 4th is on a Friday this year so that weekend may be an option for us. I'll get to work on this and post something here by tomorrow. Folks also might want to think about a group meet/ride to the fireworks.

I am also thinking of a moped scavenger hunt for Halloween. I've organized several of these for charities over the years and were huge successes and totally a blast, but they were all done in cars - doing it on mopeds sounds like much more fun to me! (There may even be a few folks on here who’ve attended one of my scavenger hunts, they were held out of my home in Lexington from 2000 – 2004.) Costumes optional but will get you extra points! The more the better. If anybody is interested in doing this you should let me know soon as possible as it takes some time and work to put on a good one.

Wednesday ride nights will work for me in another week or so after the kids get out of school. Maybe it’ll be a nice place for the unveiling of the Minarelli project bike (for sale) which should be together by the end of the week.

Sheila,

How are those bikes doing?

Elvyra is up and crawling already!

Jay

I second the motion!

We might as well meet somrwhere cool where we can get a snack, a beer or a smoothie!

Fred,

You could say one of the bikes is up and crawling too! Cleaned out the carb on the one with the speakers and it runs! I've only taken it out a few times, so I'm interested to see if it can handle a longer ride. And of course I have big plans to get the second one working too.

Congrats on your newly mobile tot! I bet she'll be mopedding too before long...

Hey I live up in Andover and would love to go for a ride. Anyone with a truck near me want to carpool down and then ride with everyone?

If not hopefully I can fit my ST in my car and meet up.

Yes! Watch that one on long rides. I believe the only problem I had with that bike was with the condensor. I could be wrong but the condensor only has a problem when it gets hot. I believe there were several replacement condensors in the parts I gave you.

That one always ran super nice!

I've fit my puch and my regency in the trunk of my car so you've got no excuse.

I squeezed 2 Pacers in the trunk of a Taurus.

Well now I have no excuse... I have a 95 taurus, whats the best way to fit my ST?

Where exactly are we going with this now? Is it definitely the Outside Cafe?

Get a shoe horn and some KY jelly - you can fit just about anything anywhere with these two items.

i just ride down its just straight down 28

i just might go down wednesday night anyway since im going right through andover just ride down with me

hey yall im down for a cruise sometime this summer. cept i live out in the burbs and would need to borrow my moms van to haul my maxi out to the other side. but i know at least one other person (SABAT!) from around here that would be down to head all the way in there.

my question is: is this gonna be a weekly thing? and maybe a different meeting space could be arranged each week? (more towards the natick/wellesley area)

unfortunately, i dont think its going to be movable. i think the purpose of it being weekly and in the same place is that people wont have to scramble to figure out when/where its going to be. they can just go to the appointed place at the appointed time, and know that other people will be there too. in addition, it would be pretty hard for the boston 9-5ers to hauls themselves that far before dark.

alright, so its this wednesday at the otherside?

Sounds like a blast. I gotta get the trailer ready to go get a allstate in upstate new york wed but im in some wed night. I always have a loaner or 6!

I think the Other Side is perfect because we need a place where we can meet even in the fall and winter to keep up the comraderie to have holiday get togethers and after all thats the season when our peds are inside and being workrd on and readied for Spring riding!

Plus the food rocks there and those couches up in the loft area are soooooo comfortable :)

...and there's nothing like a comfy couch while waiting for peeps to meet up! lol

Hey Jay M, check your mail btw!

the abandoned bear cages are pretty much awesome. i mean - theres not a whole lot to them - theyre in the woods, and theyre big, giant, abandoned bear pens, with some bear statuary. you can walk in to some of them. but the ride through franklin park is really nice, and there are a few other nice stretches along the way. might be a nice route to take on wednesday. its about 5 miles from the other side.

HEY BOSTON! whats the deal?

ok. Wednesday theres a ride if weather permits?

where do i go, and what time are people getting together there?

take a moped camping weekend? is anyone gonna swarm that bike rally? a girl from worcester asked me to ride to NH for bike week with her on our mopeds, she wants to leave Wednesdays she mentioned her friend has a nice house we can camp at too. i was thinking Wednesday go to boston, hangout/ride then push north that night.

yeah? ~SABAT!

how bought you all just ride to franklin ma so i dont have to ped 50 miles to meet up hahah!

<here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90712790@N00/sets/72157600556087436/>; is a random flickr set from the bear cages and surroundings that i found. franklin park is really nice too - one of the treasures of boston, really.

Wowzer! Thanks for posting that link Jay!

Boston's very own Stonehenge!

I've been to Franklin Park many times... mostly as a child.. and had no idea or memory that this existed!

Nice Jay! I'm totally down for a ride out there...speaking of urban ruin, there's a site I've been checking out for a year now called opacity. I think the guy lived here originally and what he does is bust into all sorts of places that have been abandoned - some of his pictures are amazing. Some mentionables, he got into Danvers State Hospital and Northampton State Hospital before they tore them down...

OT link with the link to opacity here: https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/521843/521843/

Steve, if we're meeting at the Otherside Cafe (not sure if we're doing the parking lot instead), it's located right off Mass Ave across the street from the main drag of Newbury Street...the address is:

407 Newbury St

Boston, MA 02115

It's on the side road immediately to the right of the mass pike ramp, right next to a futon shop at the corner. Pretty easy to get to from all points.

tim's new(est) moby runs now!!! we took turns riding it in the wild thunderstorm tonight. pretty good first ride on lady.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account