Tomos A55 engine : best 50 cc engine ever?

the drifter /

while waiting at my cousins house i happened to spot a road and track mag. On a certain page it compared a ferrari to a corvette. The ferrari posted quicker times with a much smaller cc engine than the corvett (cars around equal weight). point being that engine design is just as important as size. Even with a sprocket change from a 28 to a 22 the new A55 accelerated faster than a older stock tomos with a A35

Re: Tomos A55 engine : best 50 cc engine ever?

there are plenty of 50cc engines better than that....

yeah a minarelli v1 is 10 times better than any tomos engine

my man, you have opened a debate that will last generations...

personally i'd say the tomos has great off the line acceleration, while the minarelli and the puch have better top speed and better tourque, it's all a matter of personal preference, since when considering kitting some engines work better than others, i always figure it at this: tune it right and it won't let you down.

the drifter /

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/news/article/0,13190,1119859,00.html

- cobra 50cc got 75mph.

yes but the minarelli v1 is much older than the A55 engine, things have progressed since then.

oh i agree, the one project i was working on i had the choice of picking up either an a35 or a minarelli v1, i chose the a35 i wanted faster immediate take off than all out top, unfortunately the a35 didn't pan out to work for what i had planned so i sold it, thus my lack of running peds right now, much to my chagrin. and i admit that as stock engines go the tomos is decent, i'm just saying it's a matter of personal preference.

i'm totally in this thread!

i deffinettly dont think its the best. it could of been done soo much better. lacking reed power due to EPA restriction that alone puts it in another catagory, but some people might think economicly its good whatever.

i dunno theres alot to think about....

the drifter /

what is reed power and what kind of gripe could the Environmental Protection Agency possibly have with a moped?

to much gas percentage wise goes into the air

I think the A55 is 42 cc

Mystery Machine /

I think the A55 is 42 cc, they could have left it at 49 and run with lower compression for longer engine life .. but at least they put high speed low speed adjustable jets on it. They probably got a weight reduction with the 42 cc.

Re: I think the A55 is 42 cc

i mean, mopeds necessarily? because there are 50cc pocket bike engines that do 18 hp. and as far as moped-specific. DERBI. thats pretty much the end of the discussion.

I have thought about this often, and though I am fairly certain that I wouldnt nominate a moped engine for Best 50cc Engine, if I was picking best moped engine...I dunno. I dont have experience with the Minarelli's, but everything else of theirs Ive looked at has been amazing, and their 50cc track bike engines would be high on my list of best 50cc engine ever. I'd put the vespa moped engine as #1 if it werent for the damned tiny intake. If they did it just a little differently and put a decent intake on it, the potential would be incredible...the rotary valve intake is such and advantage.

Anyway, best 50cc engine ever...I dunno...probly the customized ones Minarelli used to put in their track bikes. Kreidler Florett...perhaps. For sheer impressiveness, the Suzuki RK67 is pretty nice, with a top speed of 105mph.

Best=?

I think value and reliability should be factored in.

That said, I have no idea what the best 50cc engine is. I'm biased, but 50cc.nl says that the Honda MB5 cylinder is 'the best 50cc there is'.

Not a ped by any means, tho.

My '08 Sprint, with a Biturbo, carb upgrade kit from 1977, and 22 tooth rear sprocket easily averages 43 mph, and has good acceleration. What's not to like? Peace. Jerry.

50cc 18HP - I'd have to see

one personally to believe it /

Unless someone can provide a manufacturer's url which confirms what you are saying.

Re: 50cc 18HP - I'd have to see

yeah i dont believe that.

ive seen DERBI with 8hp and thats awesome.

http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/1967.html

At least 17.5ps (about 17hp) out of a 50cc engine. That was in 1967.

anything carabela.

17.5 bhp at 17,300 rpm

holy shit!

talk about whineing the piss out of it.

4 stoke too.

whooo!~SABAT!

anything Echo makes puts almost everything else to shame....

Can run on straight gas full throttle for 45+ minutes...cylinder will be scored but that is it...exceptional fuel as coolant design

no shit

an Echo

got one in the garage

the drifter /

http://www.50cc-motorcycles.com/

found a site all about the 50cc, and no the tomos A55 is 49cc.

« Go to Topic — end of thread