My first moped - need help!

I am really hoping to buy a moped in the next couple of months but I have no idea where to start. I am thinking I would want a Puch Maxi because I have heard good things about them. Any other suggestions? I really don't want to spend more than 400$ but I want a decent moped that won't die on me.

When looking for a moped what should I do to make sure it is worth the price? I am from Kalamazoo so I was thinking about going to 1977. I really am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Should I buy from a store or from an individual? New or used? I am thinking vintage, so I am thinking used. I just want to make sure it is in good shape. Any advice? Please??

Re: My first moped - need help!

Leon Swarmer /

read this http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/buyingused/

Meet with pedders in your city (so Many in K zoo you lucky person,) listen learn.

troll the buy sell forum on this site, and CL. Good deals pop up sporadically. Make friends with the kalamazoo mopedians and they will probably give you all the help you need.

Oh and read this site religiously for the rest of your life to learn everything you need to know about mopeds and life (they are the same).

hahhaa, Justin.

Yes, this is the place to learn. Read up as much as ya like. You can always use the search on here, and get down to more specifics.

Puch is about the best out there, and many people like Tomos. Tomos still makes new mopeds.

This is what got me into mopeds, and I ride it daily.

---_DeeZy_

I don't think you can go wrong with a Puch, although any and all mopeds will at some point die on you -- even Puchs. The nice thing about Puchs, though, is that they're easy to find parts for, easy to fix, and there are a ton of people out there who have them and can help you fix them. Since you're in Kalamazoo, your riding probably won't depend on your ability to fix it, but you can certainly learn if you want.

The buying used guide is good, and there's also a "Moped Restoration Checklist" on the main page of the wiki that might help. It'll give you a good idea of things that could need to be fixed or replaced once you buy it.

Craigslist, Ebay, 1977, and your local moped hoarders are all good sources for mopeds. I'm sure you'll find something good within a reasonable amount of time.

If you want to see what's out there for Puchs, check out the Puch category on the wiki.

« Go to Topic — end of thread