81 Derbi Variant

Hayden biener /

Hey, I have an '81 Derbi Variant that has sat for a few years and just recently came across it. I can not seem to get it to start at all. It sounds like im getting compression when i try to pedal it up but i cannot get a spark from the plug. I believe the plug cap comes from a coil that is a minimax, but when i removed the panel on the left side crank it looks like there are some blue battery packs in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: 81 Derbi Variant

Chris Hernandez /

Was that the one on Craigalist a couple days ago? Try taking it to Choke in LA or Myrons Mopeds in Fullerton. Try to get it running by July, some of us are tying to organize a movie/beach ride.

Hayden biener /

It might have an electric start, there is a red button that says start on the top side of the run/off switch. Thus the what looks to be battery packs could be for that. I'd really like to see if i could get it going myself, I don't any friends with trucks to get it to choke. Also there is a bit of rust on the magneto ring and i am curious if that would prevent it from getting a spark.

I picked up the one that was on craigslist last Saturday.

Hayden biener /

So i think im still having trouble with the magneto any help???

Jeez, your first moped is a Derbi Variant? Some people have all the luck. Do a search on the repair forum, it seemed like this is a fairly common problem with those, the problem with mine is that it was run over by an SUVlol, nothing to do with ignition.

) CuperAWESOMO ( /

You can check the coil by grounding the red and blue wires that come off the stator. If you get spark then just work backwards. I've had a few not get spark due to a burnt out taillight bulb.

Hayden biener /

So if i ground those 2 then attempt to pedal it i should get a spark?

seriously thanks for the help

) CuperAWESOMO ( /

Yeah. And hold the decompression lever and make sure the motor is engaged (little lever on top of the motor) when you pedal.

Hayden biener /

MY tail lights are ran to a separate battery on the handlebars that all the lights run off so i do not think its the tail light those wires arent too long to where i can ground them and check to see if they spark by myself so i have to wait until i have someone around to see. So i ground those both to maybe the body of the bike or together see if a spark jumps across?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account