are turn signals required for mopeds in PA?

Didnt see it in the wiki. Have been pulled over in the past and cop claimed i needed them but he definitely wasn't up on things. (he was pointing at some reflectors and claiming that they originally lit up)

Re: are turn signals required for mopeds in PA?

no you don't need blinkers. but if you see a cop it would be recomended to use hand signals. He can't argue against those.

There is no requirements for blinkers or any other safety features in PA.

Straight outta Pistolvania

a friendly reminder from my highschool days.

while you don't need blinkers, the cops i knew loved to use the "i didn't see you signal" excuse to pull you over when using hand signals. cause you know, they gotta come up with some BS reason to pull you over in the first place if they think you're up to something.

that's a major generalization, but if you might be the type to carry certain types of materials on your person, you might want to be aware.

is dilburg in northern regional territory?

well i'm assuming other than the statute that the moped needs a working tailight and headlight... but i guess those aren't safety features.

Yea.. PA drivers are nutttttsssssss, almost was hit 3 times by them swerving or running stop signs

basically, one could argue the hand signal thing, motorcyclists do it all the time, most of them handsignal and still use the blinker, but then that's just my observation from here near philly (inside philly you're lucky if they signal with anything other than a middle finger) i figure if it was origionally equipped with them it should them have them. i've noticed that most mopeds of the model year around, and after 1980 have turn signals, while older ones do not.

I can actually answer this one!

The rule that applies MOST to the necessity of turn signals is the one I always call the "grandfather" law: if the bike didn't come with it, it doesn't need it.

Awesome.

So, for example my '66 175 twingle has no signals or mirrors - just a headlight, a tail light, a horn, and a stop light.

My '80 Express came with turn signals, horns, mirror mounts, lights, killswitches - hell, this thing was how I learned what all the stuff on a motorbike handlebar was. At some point the non-functional rear blinkers rattled too much, so I pulled on them really hard. Now, they are in my basement, and they don't rattle at all.

Technically, that bike is no longer street-legal - if it needed an inspection (which it doesn't) it would fail for lack of signalling equipment. Similarly, if I made a turn with a cop behind me, and didn't use a hand signal, I would have to argue that the road conditions necessitated the use of two hands, or be subject to a Failure to Signal ticket.

THAT SAID: If you have turn signals, and you can get them to work (and stay on your bike) I would recommend them. If you don't like the look of them, try the minimalist bar-end signals, if you can swing it - they at least give side-street traffic an indication that you are about to turn.

« Go to Topic — end of thread