Crashed my moped doing hand signal

So about 3 hours ago, I took my FIRST digger on my moped. Im not that banged up, just a few scrapes and bruises... the moped got it a bit worse with a tweaked front fork, bent pedal and some road rash.

I dumped my bike at about 20mph when I took my left hand up and signaled for a right and turn. Im trying to be a responsible mopeder and signal (my honda pa 50 does not have signals). Only when i took my left hand up, and the front tire hit a big piece of gravel, did the front fork snap sideways and sent me flying.

So here's the dilemma, and Im sure to get input from both sides of the aisle on this one... Considering NET safety, is it better to use hand signals? Or not, considering you have way more control over your moped when you have BOTH hands on the bars?

I think Im going to stop hand signaling until the bike is stopped from now on.

Re: Crashed my moped doing hand signal

no, you gotta signal before you stop so cars pay attention, at least when theres people behind you. Otherwise you get a buick up your ass.

I scan the road ahead before hand signaling, and won't do it if I see any potholes, rocks, etc. ahead. When I'm on the left side of a lane and want to turn right, I start moving over to the right and hope that the person behind me puts 2 and 2 together. Overall I hate signaling though and I'm thinking about putting single LED signals on my moped.

I meant to say I hate HAND signaling, hence wanting to put LEDs on my ped.

haha, i did the exact same thing going like 10mph. you just gotta practice your balance, dude. but it's important to signal. try adjusting your seat/handlebars to a more balanced position.

signal way b4 u need to think about braking and turning and only if its necessary in a logical sense to alert others of your intended path

the only reason I signal is so cars know I'm slowing down, and I only do it when a car is behind me. I would just do it before you start to slow down and just for a second after checking that there's smooth sailing ahead.

the best thing you can ever do while riding a moped...

is don't give a fuck if you live or die.

gangsta mentality yo.

you'll ride with so much more control.

proven.

confidence is key, yep.

best. advice. ever.

take both hands off if yer a real man. rafter is.

on that note, some people do care about their lives, it's strange i know...

so please signal when it will benefit your fellow mopeder.

You better listen to the "Orgasmo farmer" and get some blinkers then. You should also get yourself a reflecter vest, hat, gloves, shoes, pants etc...

I don't signal. I take a quick look behind me to see if anyone is in the suicide lane and if not I creep into that and make my turn.

I'd have to agree. That's the best way to do it.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this to be a bit of a conundrum. I can take my hand off the handlebars and signal with it so people know what I'm doing (haha, like anyone understands hand signals anymore) or I can maintain full control of my moped and brake levers by not signaling.

Mostly I compromise. When there aren't other cars around, I don't signal. If I think I will improve the safety of the situation, I signal, but only if I'm not going to have to stop in the next 20 feet and there aren't potholes or obstructions in the road.

I use hand signals when I know someone is around me that may need to know I will be turning. I do it before I turn the corner, so I have both hands on while steering.

Hope ya heal up, and get your bike back into shape soon!

Also,it would be a bit hard to signal on my friends bike since it has a Kawasaki KX80 front fork and disc brake set up that is really sensitive.One fuck up with my hand off the brake and I need to hit it suddenly and that bike will stop in a New York minute.

To be honest I'm more concerned with brake and throttle control than if the douche behind me knows I'm signaling him.

Until that someone behind you runs your ignorance over.

They'd be doing the world a favor.

I've been using hand signals and haven't had this happen yet, thankfully, but yeah, anytime you take your hand off the bars you risk that happening. Just look at the road and signal in advance... Make sure it's safe to put your hand up.

shitty thing is that people really don't even pay attention to turn signals. ride like you are invisible to the world and always have an escape.

shitty thing is that people really don’t even pay attention to turn signals. ride like you are invisible to the world and always have an escape. DITTO I was thinking the same thing. I pull over To the right then wait for traffic to clear etc. Turn signals people Can see. Hand signals are blind to...

yea seriously... i can have a huge sign that says IM TURNING LEFT SLOW THE F DOWN! and people still will be like uhhh whatcha say?

just ride and be aware that assholes in cars dont see you or if hey see you they dont give a shit.

i say speed up, your wheels will keep u upright i have hit pot holes at 35 (down a hill) with no hands on the controls and was just fine well maybe not but i didn't crash and if u have lots of turns with cars behind u that r bad get turn signals

BryAn eurism /

The 'drunk monkey' manuever a few yds. before signaling lets em know you're there and you care. Just a little push on the right grip, now the the left, then repeat until they make the hole you want

exactly why i payed the little extra on for my tomos ST over the sprint, i planned on ditching the oil injection no matter what, but thought the blinkers were a key addition and thus made it worth it.

if you have a brake light i wouldnt signal.

the only thing they need to know is that your slowing down

Okay, get this, I have an 80 pug 102-SP, they didn't make these with signals, so I do the hand thing too, but the dumb shits in Dago, think I am telling them to pass me!!! So now I just run stop lights and signs like I am a bicyclist, and when the po-po is around I ride it like a motorcycle and signal. Sux man, hope you and your bike are gonna be okay.

it is scary to take a spill but just keep practicing and scan for potholes and stuff before- and signal early, look behind you (quick glance) and then stop signaling and then prepare to turn. that is a procedure that works. generally i like to at least signal for left hand turns because people get it- pointing left is easy to understand- but the right hand signal... people just think you are giving some ac/dc metal horns or something and don't understand what the fuck it means anyway- (remember to brake -brake light) although i still do it when the road is clean- sometimes you just need to keep both hands on the handlebars. it totally depends - the ultimate thing to remember is do what will keep you from not crashing. if at first that means not signalling all the time- so be it- but keep practicing and you will get better at it over time.

thanks for the replies guys and gals

Update almost a week later. Road rash on my foot, and leg are healing up nicely. Still ride the moped to work every day. I wish the road rash on my ped would heal itself... but alas, Im now in search of a new pedal, and mirrors.

thanks for your suggestions and good wishes. It was interesting to see the variety of responses. If it were a poll... the consensus would say something like:

"use hand signals... sometimes, but people wont understand it anyway." haha. vague yes.

right now, im signaling about 20% of the time, mostly when there are cars behind me.

best to you all

« Go to Topic — end of thread