Helmet as a carry on?

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

So I'm flying up to NY this weekend, and I've got a loaner ped setup. I need to bring my helmet, but I'm checking just a duffle bag, and I'm thinking it will get messed up if I leave the helmet in the bag. I don't want a cracked visor or anything. I've seen the baggage handlers do their thing, and they're nicknamed "throwers" for a reason.

So, think they'll give me shit if I just try to carry my helmet on the plane? Normally I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but with homeland secrutiy having a stick up their ass about everything, I thought I'd ask and see what people thought. Anyone done it before?

Re: Helmet as a carry on?

Done it before, no problems

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Sweet! Thanks.

Tell them you're afraid of crashing. If they don't believe you, piss yourself.

justin and i just went to seattle and definitely had no problems with our helmets being in our carry on bags.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

Actually Mike, you might want to call and ask about your particular helmet. Motorcycle helmets don't have the added bonus of an integrated headset and boom mic. :-)

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Yeah...I might bring my full face instead of my pilot's helmet. For some reason they might question a random military helmet more than your typical full face.

Fucking homeland security...

what they wont let you do is wear your helmet on the plane and through security so you can have 2 carry ons. friggin lame.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Well if I can't wear it I guess I'll just have to trust in my floating seat cushion for safety if we crash.

Wait...I'm only flying over land. Shit.

last year I went to he Dominican republic to go kiteboarding and signed up Gor some off toad riding with a company down there. All my bags were maxed out at 50 PBS a piece, and I had 2 carry ons.. Plus my Helmet. They wanted to charge me 50 bucks excess baggage charge for my helmet so I just put the helmet on and said it was no different than a hat. They gave me the business but I held my ground. They allowed me to board the plane with my helmet on. I felt like an idiot. I took it off after we took off. Safety first!

toe fur threadkiller /

i wish more people rode planes with a helmet.

i so want to do that :P just for the looks

« Go to Topic — end of thread