rustyyyy gassssss.....

so im looking for things to do while my rebuild kit come for the carb on my 1980 puch maxi when i figure hey its been sitting for a year or so, so why not make sure there it no gas in the tank. well there was. so i emptied it and guess what. its rusty. no thick and nasty but its defiantly rust colored. i was thinking about a tank cleaning kit when it hit me. the tank is part of the frame. what should i do? i wanna have this thing running in a week or so but idk what to do about this...helppp!!!

Re: rustyyyy gassssss.....

same as a regular tank cleaning.

1.plug up petcock spout.(make sure you take off petcock and drain gas.)

2. add prolly a liter or so of muratic acid.

3 add a jumbaly(yes i prolly made this word up) of washers bolts nuts random metal objects. put gas cap on.

get a friend.

4. shake the shit out of your maxi as much as possible.

5 drain muratic acid, and de-activate it safely.

6. enjoy!

-OR- you get a fuel filter for 3 bucks from 1977. that will most likely work too. depends on how bad your tank is.

~SABAT!

yeah, what he said. make sure you get a filter,fo sho.

I must add, Dont add a liter of muratic acid, add about 2 cups, and then fill the rest with water.

your right. when i did this it was a magnum tank. maxi's are smalll!

BryAn eurism /

You can thank all the tweekers for not being able to score phosphoric instead of muriatic. I would only go a cup with muri after what happened with a green Sparta I once knew

who sells muriatic?

ACE hardware.

or just grab another gas tank and duck tape it on thats what i am rocking on the not running one :P

....i have read other info out there, and correct me if im wrong, but you can also fill it with vinegar and let it sit for a day or two, drain it then get a metal etcher of some sort...im currently doing this to my new bike and i went with a product called KREEM... after the metal etcher it has a foam you put in it that seals the tank to prevent future rust.

Vinager works well, I just used it, set my tank out for about a week then filled it with washers and shook and repeated for about three hours. Alternating with water and baking soda. I have gone threw about 4 liters of the stuff. But I have EXTENSIVE rust problems. Use the WIKI to find the process.

Kuro Neko Neko

..okay thats my problem is i havent figured out where the hell im going to dump all the crap....where do you dump 4 liters of shit water gas?

I have my gas/water/vinager waste in a bucket outside of my garage because I live in the city and I don't know how to dispose of it, so I'm just letting it evaporate out of the bucket.

Kuro Neko Neko

if you have it in a bucket you can take it to autozone, checkers or any auto store and they have a dump bucket in their building usually...you might have to pay like $1

I don't live anywere need such facility's.

Kuro Neko Neko

if you live in a city there has to be an autoparts store nearby...they all do it

I'm not taking 5 gallons of waste in my car, and have it spill all over when I'm on the highway...

Kuro Neko Neko

ooooo ic that would be not so good

eat nails you get rusty gas

Doctor Shiftago /

Change your diet .. eat vegetables and you'll fart green instead of reddish orange.

Re: eat nails you get rusty gas

haha thanks guys. i thinkk im gonna slap a fuel filter on there and hope to god it works. if not i guess im bringin a friend over and were gonna shake the shit outta my puch. thanks again

O my Gosh... That Muratic acid is some serious S**T...I dripped some on my concrete and it started to boil! I dumped a ton of water on the spot i dripped it on...will that neutralize it? Can i then just rinse the crap out of the tank with water in the gutter?

michael moore /

I HAD SAME PROBLEM ,I TOOK A ASPO OR RUST INHIBITOR IT KILLS RUST AND TAKE VALVES OFF TANK AND LET WATER HOSE RUN THREW SEVERAL TIMES THEN CLEAN WITH A DEGEREASER AND YOU CAN BUY SOME TANK SEALER THAYT YOU POR IN AND IT COAT TANK HAVE TO LET DRY 96 HOURS BUT IT WORKS I HAD BIG CHUNKS OF RUST IN THE TANK,MIGHT TAKE LONGER THAN YOU WANT BUT BE PATIENT

muriatic acid is powerful stuff, I dont know i'd suggest shaking the gas tank while it's full of the acid. do the handful of washers bit with water or vinegar, then drain and then do the acid and just let it sit for an hour. half and half acid and water mix should be more than strong enough to eat away any rust. You should also be wearing goggles and a respirator (not a dust mask) whenever you're using the acid. to nuetralize spills, use baking soda, then rinse with water once the fizzing stops, don't just swish it away, that shit is poison and you're just washing poison into the ground if you hose a spill off. If you want to nuetralize a whole bucket of waste you're going to need like two of the big boxes of baking soda, and a bucket that's more than twice the volume of the waste, cause it bubbles a lot when it neutralizes. It's way more dangerous, but you can neutralize it easier by putting your respirator gear back on, taking the bucket out to an empty parking lot, and pouring a bottle of ammonia into it. THIS CREATES CHLORINE GAS, WHICH CAN KILL YOU SO DON'T SCREW AROUND IF YOU USE AMMONIA.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account