Please tell me why puch is a good moped

Im a new moped enthusiast and now have a 79 motobecane, 78 hobbit and now i have the chance to buy a non running 79 puch with title for $250 that looks emaculate ( garage kept) and comes with mso from dealer.What makes the puch a good moped and does this sound like a deal?

Thanks, Rickster

Re: Please tell me why puch is a good moped

buy it or else...

$250 with a title makes that one good. Garage kept bounce. There easy to work on and lots of parts!!

DON'T BUY IT. instead post the seller's info so everyone else knows who not to buy from.

it's just good karma.

WOW, You own the 2 hardest bikes to work on! Time to try the easiest! Puch is a no-mystery engine. If it's even close it will run. Also the limitless kits available is nice. They are smooth running and have a real nice sound stock, but you don't see too many of these here.

did it have rear suspension? did you take a look at the engine numbers? what was the rated horsepower on the sticker?

250 for a nice running ped thats titled is a great deal in PA. pick it up. super reliable, quick, plenty of aftermarket options... yeah. good stuff.

i just picked up a 1980 puch maxi for 250 and im trying to fix it up. looks like all it needs is a carb rebuild and a throttle seeing as it didnt come with one. parts are everywhere. look on ebay if you need a carb rebuild kit. so easy to work on. i would buy it if i were you.

Do you have to have special tools to work on puch.It seems everything you do to a motobecane takes a special tool.

all you need is a impact driver and clutch puller

for a working moped, especially a puch, with a title, 250 seems like a steal

i think just about every bolt on a puch is 10 or 13 mm. The only special tools you might need is a flywheel puller, but you probably wont need to remove yours. get this moped!

Puch is a good moped, because they are high quality, like Mercedes used to be. They are well engineered and manufactured. Back in the '70s, there were a lot of moped brands, and a lot of them used somebody elses engine. Puch designed and manufactured all their own parts to meet very high standards. I own a Puch. and I like it. A lot. But if you have a Moby, in decent condition, you don't know how lucky you are. I would trade my Puch for a nice Moby any day. Not that the Moby is better made than a Puch. Far from it. But the Moby has style and class, and character, which can actually cause it's owner to either love it or hate it, usually both at the same time. A Puch is so well made and so reliable, that it seems boring by comparison. But definitely buy it. You can't go wrong with a vintage Puch for $250. There are only a couple of things I would warn you about, rust in the gas tank, which applies to any tank in frame moped, and the ZA50 2 speed engine. Those are actually over engineered, and a real pain to work on. And they require several special tools, and a lot of hard to find parts. Unless you have above average mechanical skills and the patience of a saint, I wouldn't advise trying to work on one of those. They are so precisely made, that the wrong thickness of a gasket can cause one to self destruct. But never mind about all that. Go buy the Puch. Peace. Jerry.

« Go to Topic — end of thread