Putting in new sealed bearings?

So.....after SNAPPING my rear wheel axle (awesome...........) on my rigid, I'm left with a few choices.

1) Get a new axle and repack the old thing

2) Get a new axle and put sealed bearings in that bitch.

Anyone done this on a Puch snowflake? I'm almost positive it's better for a bike shop to do it.

Thoughts?

Re: Putting in new sealed bearings?

Moped Game Sally Struthers /

motomatic can install them on puch mags. it makes a world of difference.

i want to do this on my batavus. im curious as to the process - i am going to jb weld them in, i think?

jbweld!?! no no, you want to press them in, machine the hubs to accept them if necessary.

i want to do this on my bat as well

what exactly does one have to do? im interested.

osprey of Dee'z loinz /

myrons mopeds makes special bearings cups and tools to install... about 100 bones an axle

most alum wheels have steel cups pressed in. on my si wheels, i knocked those cups out and found a sealed bearing that fit perfectly (happed to be tomos/puch size). all i had to do was make a spacer for between the bearings and press them in. cake! cheap! cheap cake!

is it really that much better than regular bearings? i mean, you wouldnt have to pack the bearings with grease ever, but thats not really that hard...

snowflakes have an off size center bore. there isnt any sealed bearing that directly matches the bore. you either need to open the center diameter 3mm or make a 1mm outer shim to fit a sealed bearing in snowflakes.

oh and upgrade to 12mm axles also.

Yeah.....that's what I thought.

Thanks, everyone for chipping in with good info.

I don't yet know what I'm going to do....but as expected I'm having a nightmare trying to find a 12mm snowflake axle. I'm probably going to pick up some new wheels today and do the repair later. Gotta ride!

So...I should check out Myron's and see what the deal is?

And, think Handy Bike has snowflake axles?

that's probably because snowflakes (at least with cup and

cone bearings) take an 11mm axle.

« Go to Topic — end of thread