Shifting gears on a Honda50

I just bought a 1965 Honda50. I am wondering about any recommends for shifting the gears. It has 3. Stuff like down shifting when stopping? Anything that would help an amateur like me. Any expertise or good ideas would be appreciated.

Corey

Re: Shifting gears on a Honda50

The speedo should have lines on it indicating when to shift gear based on speed.

Leon Swarmer /

first gear is super low. You 'll only need it when you carry 8 pigs or 37 chickens to the market. That's what it is made for.

Just use 2 and 3 and you'll be fine. Don't ever do a rolling downshift into 1 at over 5 mph. It'll almost act like a brake and really rev the engine. Downshifting 3-2 prolly isn't necessary above 10 mph, IMHO. I usually don't downshift till I am stopped.

Leon

'66 50

Does it have one of those rotary shifters, where all shifts are down, and it just goes around in a circle? And does it have one of those "autoclutches"? Peace. Jerry.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

This is good to know, I have a Honda 50 awaiting ressurection. I had heard about 1st being a granny gear, but I wasn't sure how tall it really was.

I believe it is, but neutral is between 1st and 2nd.

oh THATS what one-down-two-up means.. on my C70 neutral is at the bottom and it shifts up 1-2-3.. no wonder i cant get my 50 out of first!

Yup. Down to go into first, up once to get into neutral, up again for 2nd, up one more time for 3rd.

holy crap, its true! i got it into neutral!

didnt get it to start yet, but progress is progress!

« Go to Topic — end of thread