VeloSolex Registration in Ontario

I just picked one up on the weekend and am super excited to get it on the road. Does anyone know if it must be registered and insured as a moped in Ontario, Canada? The elderly gentleman I purchased it from seemed confident that it did not, and much of the literature I have read supports this claim, but only pertains to the US. We are a bit permit-crazy up here so I wouldn't be surprised if it needed the whole 9.

Re: VeloSolex Registration in Ontario

John Joedicke /

It is a moped in Ontario. You need an endorsement on your drivers license. Will need insurance and plated registration. Nothing easy up here anymore after the pocket bikes f'ed the system.

ya, I have the M-L license already. I was just wondering if it slipped through the cracks as a bicycle with an "emergency engine" or something. I figred as much anyway, thanks.

By the way, there seem to be a lot of bikes popping up in your area lately; Hamilton and St. Catherines/Niagara being the main hotbeds. Being in Caledonia seems to have you almost perfectly traingulated.... good strategy.....

John Joedicke /

Have a few bikes but always looking. You looking for a project, contact Lindsay in toronto. I think she has a few she would part with.

I live in Arizona, and have a Solex. It cannot be registered or insured here, as it is not considered a street legal motor vehicle. AZ has a law that allows the use of "motorized bicycles", that is like a regular bicycle with a Chinese engine bolted on, without a license, registration, or plate, and even allows you to use the bike lanes, as long as you don't exceed 20 mph, which happens to be the top speed of a Solex. But, there is a glitch in this law, that technically excludes the Solex. The law says the engine cannot displace more than 48cc, and the Solex is 49cc. Brian says that makes it an unregisterable moped, and there is no legal way to ride it on the street. I ride it anyway, hoping to pass it off as a "motorized bicycle" if I ever get stopped on it. Peace. Jerry.

« Go to Topic — end of thread