The "Email replies to this thread" feature

Simon King /

I'm sure that everyone has noticed the <b>Email replies to this thread, to the address above.</b> checkbox at the bottom of the message window - do most pepole check this when they get done posting?

The situation is that I almost always check this, and was thinking about making it checked by default, so that people would have to "un-check" it if they didnt' want to get the email replies. The reason for doing this is the assumption that most people check it - and attempting to eliminate that small step. Also, if it's checked by default you'll never forget to check it.

This could be seen as a bad thing - and I could be wrong that most peole check the box. Reply to this thread and let me know wether or not you use the email feature.

Thanks.

Re: The

Ron Schild /

Sounds good to me. I agree with your view.

Thanks for asking first before going ahead with it.

Ron S.

Damien Weaver /

Yeah, I always check it. Thanks for great forums, by the way.

Damien

I don't use it.

I sometimes use it..

but not when i reply to a thread tho, usually if I start a thread, i'll check it..otherwise it stays unchecked.

Ron Brown /

Simon,

I have never used this. If it is checked, does that mean the response will not appear on the forum?

If so, I would be in favor of leaving it un-checked as the responses often contain information which is usefull to others.

This also seems to be the point of the forum.

Ron

Simon King /

nope. The responses still appear in the forum if the checkbox is checked, but you'll also get a copy by email. The big advantage of this is that you'll know right away when a thread is added to. The email contains a link to the thread so that you can easily go to the forum and respond.

Another reason to use the checkbox is that if someone responds to an old thread you might not notice it on the forum - like if you put something in the buy/sell forum as a request for something you are looking for and a month later someone responds that they have one for sale...you might not see their response, so it's handy to get a copy of the post via email as well.

Ron Brown /

Simon,

I stand in awe!

Technology is a wonderfull thing, sometimes.

Go for it,

Ron

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account