What it was like to be a moped dealer in the 70's

Larry Picarello /

I was a Jawa dealer in the late 70's and found the Babetta moped to be rugged, reasonably quick, and reliable with the exception of the ignition system. The "Tranzimo" unit- an epoxy sealed iron curtain time bomb that was either bad or waiting to go bad, usually far from home, in a bad neighborhood, at night.

Spare parts were dirt cheap and I was within driving distance to American Jawa,Ltd in Plainview, Long Island. I usually would drop off a parts request form to the parts guy, go out into the warehouse to load up some peds, then collect my parts that were waiting for me at the counter. The new mopeds were packed two to a sturdy oak crate, in assorted colors, stacked to the ceiling. Those were the days!

Re: What it was like to be a moped dealer in the 7

The '70s were the days for everything, not just mopeds. Cars, motorcycles, clothes, music, the lack of technology, society in general, pretty much everything was better in the '70s. I'd go back there in a heartbeat, without even having to think about it. Peace. Jerry.

Tom Rainwater /

Well with gas going higher, another dollar by August 1 close to $6/gal in CA. ; the question I ask my self is whether we will see a resurgence of the Moped.

Ford has cut their production of fancy trucks, build real truck for the handy man is all and stopped production of SUVs; and I can't see motorcycles going as litter bikes much longer, I'm thinking the Japanese are going to bring the smaller displacement to the US like elsewhere.

So could there be a resurgence of the Moped?

As nice as that would be (or would it?), the answer is no. The scooter has taken the mopeds place in todays world. Peace. Jerry.

I wish I was alive in the 70s and had money for a factory fresh 1970 Cutlass 442.White with navy blue stripes and a navy cloth top.

Yummy.

Now I have to buy a farm fresh one and restore her.

Well for there to be a real resurgence of mopeds there would need to be a company out there making and promoting them. I'm not sure Tomos is really up to leading such a revolution.

One possibility I think would be interesting, is if someone designed basically a "kit" moped, where they designed certain custom components and had them manufactured, but mainly used commercially available parts. So individual moped fans could get the plans and parts list for this kit and then buy the components and make them and sell them as new, possibly with some sort of co-op amoung moped owners/makers in order to get the parts at wholesale. That would be a grassroots resurgence.

George Smith /

I think we may not see mopeds again...But maybe bikes like the old MB-5 and others similar... I've seen a lot of 50-125cc Dirt bikes made into on-road tagged bikes here in FL. Saw a 125cc yamaha dirt bike today... Even a smaller bike too but no name on it, looked like a honda clone engine like a lifan too... I've also seen several Tomos and yeah we may see someone come out with a new moped, perhaps a puch knock off once all their patents are run out...World wide mopeds and scooters are regaining popularity...

romeo thunderhawk

Ben Van Zoest /

Mid 70's was about the end of Americ'a 'Golden Decade'

I could buy my kids little Honda Z 50 motorbikes 1969-70, money you now pay for a fancy bicycle, I think around 350$ they were. Those times will never come back as we are in a terrific economic backslide...

Shit i dont know, there is a guy up the street that had a shitload of tomos just sitting around in 07 -- he had 06's and stuff. and not that many people bought em...but he's selling em left and right now, along with that new tomos scooter thingy....

we shall see!

I would love to build one of those, but have been unable to find out anything about it. I would use Tomos parts, and some parts are universal, and some parts could be modified to fit, but I can't find anything on what gas tank fits it (the pictures show a gas tank cleanly bolted onto it, the brackets have to be designed with some type of gas tank in mind, rear shocks, forks, etc. If I'm going to spend that kind of money and time building a one of a kind moped, I'm not going to duct tape a one gallon plastic gas can to it for a gas tank. Even those plans they sell in Popular Mechanics gives you a list of parts, and a few good places to look for them. Peace. Jerry.

I think a Romeo can be set up how you like it. Thunder or lady style.

« Go to Topic — end of thread