any practical benefit to being in a branch?

and if so, how on earth does one go about doing it? none of my emails to khz have ever been answered. can i somehow just take it over by coup-d'

Re: any practical benefit to being in a branch?

agreed, ive thought of starting my own. khz seems real lousy.

i wanna start one called, MASSXDEFECTION

i like my gang, and a bunch of other ones.

close knit friends. people to ride with, talk shop with, wrench bikes with, get drunk with, go on long road trips with. and a chance to network with a bunch of other clubs that do the same thing.

its just that the page of instructions for starting a group strike me as being a bit much. it appears that it was less trouble applying for the masters program im than it will be to convince MA.com that our group of people has "staying power."

if its so important to build a community, why is it so damned hard to start a branch?

there already are a bunch of people around. can we just submit our names and then thats the branch? its not like we're applying for a low-interest loan from mopedarmy.com.

if its too hard to get a branch, then you dont need to have one.

_if its too hard to get a branch, then you dont need to have one_ appears to be the official MA explanation. thanks for restating it. that is very helpful to me, because i never would have thought of that.

there are all kinds of moped people here, and we go on rides. im wondering what benefit the people in branches are deriving, as opposed to people like the riders in boston, who basically dont have one. i mean, we dont run around taking videos of ourselves or blogging, so we arent going fit into that set of criteria.

Well, that's one way to look at it, but there is also the opposite way to look at it. Before my kids mother and I finished it for good, we used to like bowling. We did it a lot. And I really enjoyed it to begin with. But then she decided that we should join a league. So we did. It wasn't fun anymore. It changed from being something you did because you wanted to, to being something you did because you had to. That sounds and feels like the definition of work to me. At home, I can tinker with my vehicles when I want, and do what I want, and don't have to worry about being in a hurry, or making a mistake. At work, the job has to get done, it has to get done right, and it has to get done fast. And you are being watched. And you have a yearly performance appraisal. and your raise, and your job depend on the results. That takes all the fun out of it. Same thing with the moped gang thing. By yourself, you can work on and ride your moped whenever you want. If you belong to a moped gang, then there are all these things you have to do, and have to be there for, or you are going to get dropped. So I guess it really comes down to, do you already have a life, and are you happy with it, or are you looking for a moped gang to give you a life. Peace. Jerry.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Sounds like you guys have a good group of riders (maybe a gang, yes?), and you sound excited about the riding and all that. If thats the case, then sweet, you have a gang!

I have a gang, we ride and hang out and do stupid stuff all the time. We aren't a branch and I dunno if that is even a future possibility, but hey, worst case you get rejected, right? If that ends your interests in mopeding, good thing you got rejected.

My take is whatever. Have fun on your moped. What ever happens happens.

You don't need to be a branch to start a gang. Some of the most fun I've had at rallies were with gangs that weren't (or weren't yet) branches. People who come on here asking what the benefit is and why is it so hard probably won't fit. If you're not hearing from Khz, start your own thing. Start coming out to rallies, get to know the other gangs; who knows what'll happen after that. Being in a city's "other" gang is how I got into mopeds.

As far as what the benefits are? We don't get discounts or anything like that, but if you're passing through a town you've usually got a friend to call and a place to crash; hell, they might even throw you a party. MA is an extended family and that's plenty of benefit.

Also, when this goes to a pay site next month, MA members won't have to pay the monthly subscription. So I guess that's a pretty decent benefit as well.

Jay, about 4 months ago I gave out alot of shit to the Khz gang for not doing shit. The result was bowling at sacos in somerville, there I met Fred he started Khz. He was totally cool about all the crap I dished out. The members of Khz are around, but it seems that no one will pass the torch or get anything started. I was really interested in starting my own gang but then I started thinking about how much fucking work it is getting poeple together. I think if we had a clubhouse it would work, but rent is insane. I think our best bet is to just keep doing what we're doin, just keep posting rides. I'm having more fun just riding. Thanks Josh

- Summerai - First Ben /

lol is this seriously going to be a pay site? As in... If I want to use the forums I have to pay to have an account?

If it is fuck this shit.

I have every intention of starting a moped gang in slc, I don't see why it would have to be approved by anyway.

As for it becoming a pay site I don't know much about MA specifically, but I'm pretty sure that's a running joke among members of just about any internet forum.

That is news to me. When was that decided?

I'm guessing it's a joke too.This site has been up for almost 11 years I think why would they make it a pay site now.

I'm hoping that's a joke. I'll have all kinds of interesting things to say if it isn't. But for now, I'll refrain from saying any of them until I see it with my own eyes.

i guess i see, maybe

yes. the pay thing is a joke.

also, this is interesting. i guess i see how having a branch is a good way of building contacts, but for me its too much trouble to start a branch, i think. i work full time, go to grad school, run a side business AND spend the remaining time working on my moped. theres no time left to be an organizer for this type of thing - at least not to the extent necessary to "prove" my worthiness. i dont feel like this belies a lack of dedication, or anything - i just dont feel like jumping through a million hoops to prove i like mopeds or whatever.

Re: i guess i see, maybe

I dont know, i really got the impression that khz was trying to pass the torch. Maybe we just gotta ask? That Phil dude has been working very hard it seems at getting rides going, lets just ask him. Seems easy enought. Id be into it.

Jay, here's the deal. Last year 66% of the Moped Army voted that a certain branch was completely void, not active, and totally not a good representation of the Moped Army, because of their lack of involvement in ANYTHING. You know what? That gang's still around. Because the rule is that 75% of the people in the Moped Army has to think you're lame before you're kicked out. Now, my gang would just self-retire if 2/3rds of the people on this site thought we were lame. However, they didn't, and for some George W Bush like reason, they think that 33% is good enough, and they're still here.

The reason that it's so hard to get into the Moped Army, is that it's so hard to get kicked out of the Moped Army. If we let people in easily, and then they turn out to be lame, we don't have the ability to easily kick them out. And maybe that's what the real problem is. The truth is, as the rules stand now, we (collectively) are wary about letting people in, especially if we think there is the slightest chance that we are going to have to go through the lameness that is trying to get them kicked out the following year.

I hope that makes sense.

Start your own gang. Go to rallies. Be awesome. Love mopeds. Hang out. These are the ways to be officially in the Moped Army. And it's a really rad thing to be, I think.

So wait wait wait, who's the lame gang?!?!

sucks to be them, lol.

I'm going to have a raffle for a clear puch flywheel cover at Bomb Prom. $1 tickets to help fund my bike's re-work so it won't break down when I'm there...

im assuming the lame ones are khz. i guess i just dont see why it matters if theyre inactive, and therefore the high barrier to entry doesnt really make sense to me. its not like people are going to go to another website/ring of moped people because the MA brand has been diluted, leading a big international image problem for moped army. maybe they could just find another local branch - if they existed. i just dont see, like, a whole subgroup of moped people laughing at MA because some members arent active anymore. the active ones will carry it, and the inactive ones will just fade away. it seems as though the people that are really into it will continue to be really into it, and the people who arent, wont, and never the twain shall meet.

close knit friends. people to ride with, talk shop with, wrench bikes with, get drunk with, go on long road trips with. and a chance to network with a bunch of other clubs that do the same thing.

People to be gay with, people to snuggle close with after a long night at the bar, people to get frustrated with at your mopeds lack of security in it's sexual orientation, people to shave your back hair with, people to ride around, blocking traffic and being a menace to society with.

If you have your own group, that's sweet, go to rallies with them and show everyone just how freaking sweet your group is and how much booze you can possibly drink before you make an ass of yourself and then how much more you can drink afterwards. Then show them how freaking sweet your groups hangovers are and make us all envious.

yup ride, have fun, hook up with others to ride, go to a few rallies and make an impression, build a sweet bikes do these andu r sure to get in.

p.s look i am not a member so this info hasn't worked for me (stupid town of 5 50cc bikes or less)

why do people think it's a mystery how to become a branch? it's right here

Bryan, SHhhhh!

i run around taking pictures of us!!! usually from behind, when i'm broken down and nobody has noticed yet.

susan and her gang are getting there. takes a while.

it takes a while to get anywhere on a moby.