50MPH on my ped!

I've been riding around on my new 1970 Mobylette seeing how she runs.

The other day I was riding down a long gentle slope and I got her going up to 50MPH, at least I think it's in MPH. I drove it next to my girlfriends car to figure out if it's in MPH or KPH and we concluded it was MPH.

Anyways, is anyone else able to reach such speeds with an unmodified motobecane? I though she wasn't supposed to go far past 30.

1212879090_n502618019_571989_4619.jpg

Re: 50MPH on my ped!

i call shinnanigans..

I'm going to go ahead and say no on that.

un-modified? like 100 percent stock, with that shitty gunther carb and everything? whats your belt like?

i don't not believe you, we have a moby, and it winds up. like for a stock bike i was very impressed. i love the variated transmission.

are you sure you broke 50 miles per hour tho?

i wanna know what kind of car. it sounds like kph to me.

Um....yeah....NO.

50kph is 31 mph i think your speedo is in KPH

"a long gentle slope"

The speedo would only be KPH if it was sold in Europe though right? Canada only switched over in 78'.

Also I was riding in a 70KPH area and was keeping with the speed of the traffic. This was also the only time i've ever seen it go this fast (my last top speed was 43). Most of the time on shorter flats i hit 30 then slowly climb to 35ish.

Usually when I'm riding on main streets in the city i'm going about 25-30 to keep with traffic.

I don't know, I guess I gotta get someone other than my GF to help me figure it out.

make a video please and also do a walk around before you go so we can check out the motor

What's so impossible about it, DOWNHILL? I've reached 50 mph on a bicycle before, going downhill, and could have gone faster, but I chickened out at that speed. I will try it again. I'm talking about a 4 1/2 mile downhill. Peace. Jerry.

Because I ride stock cylinder mobys all time down hill and I know they are not going 50mph. I've ridden highly modified stocky cylinder mobys that only go 50 when going down hills, so the idea of a stock cylinder moby with stock parts hitting 50 under any circumstance beside dropping out of a plane I call into question. The likelyhood of him buying a bike that was sitting and when fixed with no modification going 50 speaks of either misunderstanding of actual speed, or the previous owner from years ago doing magical things to an otherwise stock bike. Which happens less often than you think.

how big of a hill are we talking 3/4 mountain hill or a hill if its 3/4 mountain i am sure u can go that fast. hell i have hit 40 on our roller coaster hills. really they r built like a roller coaster up and down hills get bigger and bigger but momentum from the last hill can get u up the next, but if u go the other way u r screwed unless u have a fa 50 or equally tourqe bike like a new Tomos with out a gear change

I once got up to 50 on an old 66 schwinn 1 speed bike , of course I was going down the north side of the born bridge and I was 14 years old and crazy as a shit house rat at that age , Oh and I lived to tell about it

George Smith /

On flats on my 18 speed mountain bike I hit 37-38....That's when I run outta gears...

Sir, bullshit. First the stock carb would not be able to feed enough air and gas to the cylinder for those kind of speeds, second the stock exhaust is limiting you more then you think, third, I've ridden on Jesse's heavily modified moby and it doesn't even top out at 50MPH.

I've taken my once stock moby down some very nice hills and I've hardly ever been able to push it much faster then 35MPH.

yeah, ive never felt anything faster than that ona moby. they are quick tho.

was your engine engaged if yes u r a lair if no maybe u did it

you were not going 50. buy a gps.

bye

« Go to Topic — end of thread