1978 Puch Newport

Just bought a 78 Newport, 2hp, oil injected. Does anyone know if these came without the starter cable for the trans? It lacks one but the e50 on it is different from most you see, like on maxi's. It is oil injected so maybe there's a correlation. I was hoping to find one on the rear hub like my Ciao but no luck. I would hate to run out of fuel and then pedal this high compression beast.

Thanks in advance, Chris in Texas

1212870197_bikes_001.jpg

Re: 1978 Puch Newport

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

I think those are supposed to be auto-start, meaning that as you pedal, the motor automatically engages. It has a different clutch cover with "PUCH" stamped instead of the regular flat cover, correct? IF so, just pedal and it will turn over eventually.

yup it engages automatically. I didn't know the clutch was different. Is this particular e50 more or less desirable(2hp oil injected)? I like my ciao more becuase I can ride it pedal style and there is a decomp lever. I guess if I run out of gas I can just pull the plug out.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Yea those are quite a bit rarer, but I'm not sure if they are more desirable. I'm curious as how many more internal parts are in there to make it automatically engage, and oil injection is pretty much never a plus. I'd disable it.

Yeah I would rather do premix any ways. I am assuming this engine is 2% oil/ 50:1?

Better to go with 40:1, the difference if minor, but will provide a little more protection for your engine. I don't know anything about the Puch oil injection system, the only one that I know about for an absolute fact that is no good is Tomos. Those have been bad from the very first one, right up to the last one off the assembly line. Peace. Jerry.

40:1 baby!

you hate it.

« Go to Topic — end of thread