Sno-peds and Mo-sleds

Simon King /

I wanted to start a thread to talk about moped-like vehicles the go in the snow. Basically anything that it motorized and not a standard sno-mobile. Dan has found this great page about the Chrysler SnoRunner/SnoRabbit at:

<a href="http://members.aol.com/nuckem/snorunner_home001.htm">http://members.aol.com/nuckem/snorunner_home001.htm</a>;

I've included a photo in the attachment - this is on ebay right now! i want one of these so bad, but i can't afford this one...does anyone know anything more about these? Here is the link to the current ebay auction.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=530846601&r=0&t=0">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=530846601&r=0&t=0</a>;

Any photos or ideas that people have to build sno travel mopeds post them here. I'm not talking about chains on moped wheels, but vehicles that are specifically designed to travel in snow -

snorunner.jpg

Re: Sno-peds and Mo-sleds

I saw one about 12 years ago.. and talked to the guy.. but not much.

We (about 6 guys) were out on a lake at night in Oakland County on snowmobiles and pulled up at the boat dock in front of a big fancy house to crack open some beers and BS for a while.

A few minutes later we hear this burbling droning noise and look up to see a jiggling headlight approaching thru the snowflakes.. and up rides this guy on one of those Chrysler Sno-Runners.. Wow!.. No kidding.. none of us had actually seen one before.

He says... Hi.. Do you guys know Laimbeer?..

We say.. No.. Why?

He.... This is Bill Laimbeer's house. (pro basketball player)

We... Oh.. Didn't know that.. That is one of those Chrysler Sno- Runners.. isn't it?

He.... Yep

We.... How good does that thing work ?

He.... Oh.. It's alright.. It's not very fast.. and it won't go thru very deep snow very well.. it doesn't have enough power.. it's much better on packed snow trails.

We offered him a beer and he declined .. and off he rode into the dark.

The whole process of riding looked a bit unstable and wiggly.. but that could have been the conditions that night.

The motor was a 2 stroke manufactured by Chrysler.. they (Chrys) made mini-bikes with that same motor way back in the seventies.. and made outboard boat motors also... I think they might still be making them (outboards).. but now they are called "Force".

That's all I know about them..

I just ride my moped trough the snow and over the iced up roads using my feet as ski's so the wheels wont slip away from underneath me, does that count?

Ron Brown /

Simon,

I had no idea that these things existed until last summer when I went to AMA Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio. I saw 2 for sale at the (gigantic) swap meet. I think they were both under $1000.00 and I don't think they sold.

Ron

Simon King /

What, Where, and When are the "Vintage Days"? Are they worth going to?

Simon King /

Not exactly - but it is hardcore...Dan's been doing lots of research on this and said that there are bicycles that have a ski in the front and the driver wears small skis on their feet so that they can keep their feet down.

What would be neat is to get small skis so that you could use your feet to balance, but not cause much drag on your moped. -- Might defeat the entire purpose of putting the feet down though now that I think about it.

Simon King /

Vintage Days

Vintage Motorcycle Days is an AMA and AHRMA motorcycle event run at the Mid-Ohio race facility in Mansfield Ohio (170 miles from Detroit) that might be the biggest Vintage Motorcycle event on the planet... with an estimated 20,000 plus people from all over the country attending over a 4 day period in July.

There are a myriad of activities and races over the weekend.

A swap meet that covers about 5 outdoor acres.

Motorcycle roadracing on the professional RR track with bikes from all the way back to the 30's.. in many different classes all weekend.. speeds over 150 MPH for the fast ones.

A dynamometer trailer that runs almost continuously all weekend with people putting any kind of bike you can imagine up on the dyno to get a computer printout of their bikes HP and torque curves... $20... somebody told me they have put a Spree up on it.. and 200 HP bikes also.

Motocross races for old bikes running all weekend.

A bike judging show for old bikes judging their state of originality and condition.. with many brand new looking 20 to 50 year old bikes.

And one of my favorites.. a trick riding exibition by former World Trials Champion Tommi Ahvala from Finland.. he puts on this exhibition about 4 times a day.. don't miss it..wheelies, stoppies, jumping, balancing... Would you lay flat on the ground and allow one of the best riders in the world to ride right at you and 3 of your best friends lying hip to hip at 20 MPH and "jump" the bike over you with no take off ramp?.. Happens 4 times a day.. no shortage of volunteers.

Overnite camping, campfires, partying...$28 to get in for the weekend.. I don't know about camping.

Many bike specific clubs hold yearly meets together there.. and all congregate in one area.. like the 'Honda CBX Club"..etc... The Moped Army ?????

The access roads around the facility cover about 4 miles and one of the main forms of transport are... you guessed it.. mopeds.. and motorcycles of all types..it is a madhouse of two wheels.

A bizarre rule >>> no bicycles allowed !!!... weird.. and don't challenge the cops or security.. they can be dicks if you are breaking the rules.

Mid-Ohio, and the AMA, and AHRMA, all have websites.

Other than that.. I don't know a thing about it.

Re: Vintage Days

Ron Brown /

Is that where I was?

I could not describe it better, except you forgot the bike auction, demo rides from all the major vendors, accessory and apparel vendor area and the AMA Motorcycle Museum visit.

I'm sure I left something out!

Ron

Re:Sno peds

Looking at the pictures of the Snorunner ... I think one could be built from a regular moped frame. The tracks shouldn't be too hard to put together in place of the rear wheel and the front woul just look like the Snow-ped Dan and Simon put together for the sledding race. The engine looks different, but I don't see why a regular moped engine wouldn't work (then again, I'm not at all an expert on this).

Why not get some junked mopeds and rebuild them as snopeds? That would be awesome.

Also, some schematics on the Chrysler Snorunner would definitely help.

Simon King /

The sno-ped (no motor) that dan created is definetly solid, if we could find a way to propel that it would work just fine....If we could get a SnoRunner and reverse engineer it - that I think would work.

I'm no engineer, but I don't think we'd even need to reverse engineer anything. As long as the vehicle runs over snow, the carburator and engine design of a moped should run fine. After all, my engine still did 25+ mph in several inches of snow.

The thing is just to find a way to build tracks. The replacing the front tire w/ a ski shouldn't be a problem. Dan and Simon demonstrated that. How does that sound? The problem is figuring out how to design brakes.

Like I said, I'm no engineer. But it'd be great if that could be built.

I think we could just order a sno runner track, and bodge that up, but i have my doubts that a 50cc engine could deal with a track. the snow runner has a 134cc engine, and i hear it is not that powerful. it's top speed is 30mph. there is a lot more surface area on a track than a tire.

dan

moped army

swarm and destroy

danr.jpg

Simon King /

maybe we could get those double style engines all akira styled up like you're always wanted.

I see the surface area problem ... but I don't think the track has to be that long, just enough to move over the snow, right? I think a regular wheel would work for that. Just replace the tire tube w/ some sort of track-like thread that would rotate. You'd get the same surface area of a tire, but the "track" should move over snow just fine.

Keep in mind that I think the SnoRunner was designed for off-road snow use. I'm not thinking of an off-road Snow-ped, only one that can ride on regular streets before they are fully plowed. So small track area should work fine on thin but densely packed snow. After all, my regular tires did fine the few times I rode in lots of snow.

This way we could still use a regular, fully working moped. It would simpy require replacing the rear wheel w/ the one above and the front wheel w/ a ski. Of course, I'd still recommend putting little skis on the sides of the rear for balance.

Just some ideas.

Adam Wade /

This sounds good.

Mayby the existing tire does not have to be replaced.

You could wrap it with rope...or possibly a chain....

Have you considered what may happen on the street when you get to a salted intersection and the front ski has to contend with bare pavement?

Not Hiding!

Ron Brown /

Sorry, I'm not hiding, the previous post was mine also.

This name appears along with mine when I click the "Your Name" box. I usually click the correct name.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this other name?

Re: Not Hiding!

Simon King /

you should be able to just arrow down to it and hit the delete key.

Hi,

I have been following your thread on this moped/snoped thing,

I think the way to deal with the clean, dry road crossings would be to leave your front tire on, design your front ski like those on some airplanes. The front ski will mount via struts to the front forks and have a slot that allowes the front tire to extend an inch or so below the running surface of the ski! The tire will loose contact with the ground when the snow is deeper than an inch and act like a rib to help the tracking.

BTW if ya want a copy of a snorunner manual, let me know, I'll make ya a copy.

Spence

Simon King /

I think that dan might take you up on that offer - do you have a sno-runner? if so, how does it perform in deep snow?

Chad Wells /

Glad that You found my website! (http://hometown.aol.com/nuckem/index.html) We currently own 8 Snorunners and all are up and running.

SnoRunners are quite a lot of fun. They use the Chrysler Power bee 134cc engine that produced 7 hp. Of course, there are mods that can be performed to bump up the hp. Or, you can adapt a US Motor 820 Go Kart racing engine that puts out 11 hp.

SnoRunners perform pretty well in under 8" of snow, but tend to bog down in anything deeper. Of course, it depends if it's a dry snow or a snow that packs down. One of their limitations is that they appear to always have carb related problems from venturi icing to just needing a rebuild.

I think the Moped/sno-ped idea sounds pretty good. I'd guess it's an easy adaptaion for a front ski, and the rear could use a homemade type "paddle" tire, kinda like sand racers use. I'd love to see what someone comes up with!

Chad

Simon King /

That's your website - nice. It seems to be the only site on the net dedicated to snorunners. Thanks for the info -

Ron Brown /

Simon,

Every time someone tells me to do something that simple, I get very irate and wonder why they think I am that stupid.

I have been working on computers since before you were born and am not incompetent!

Of course, it worked.

Thanks,

Ron

the sno runner i was going to get was sold out from under me. i shouldn't have taken so long to decide. that's alright though, i have plenty of other bikes to work on. maybe i will retrofit one of them for the snow. carabela time!

dan

my friends dad knows a guy that has a snowrunner. i have been telling him to get it from or buy it form the guy. there a sweet little bike or moped. well snorunner i guess is all that you could call them.

Scott H

two sno runners for sale

I have 2 sno runners with appr. 3-5 hrs on each until one of the old goats wiped out and broke some bones in his foot. But there was no damage done what so ever to the sno runner. And as I say I do have two of them. any way I would like to here what you no about these dam things because until I picked them up the other day I had never seen anythig like this before. P.S. 99%MINTCONDITION RUSS

Re: two sno runners for sale

How much are you asking? Where are they located? russ wrote:

>

> I have 2 sno runners with appr. 3-5 hrs on each until one of

> the old goats wiped out and broke some bones in his foot. But

> there was no damage done what so ever to the sno runner. And

> as I say I do have two of them. any way I would like to here

> what you no about these dam things because until I picked

> them up the other day I had never seen anythig like this

> before. P.S.

> 99%MINTCONDITION RUSS

if you still have them for sale i am interested please give me a price

How much do you want for your sno runners? russ wrote:

>

> I have 2 sno runners with appr. 3-5 hrs on each until one of

> the old goats wiped out and broke some bones in his foot. But

> there was no damage done what so ever to the sno runner. And

> as I say I do have two of them. any way I would like to here

> what you no about these dam things because until I picked

> them up the other day I had never seen anythig like this

> before. P.S.

> 99%MINTCONDITION RUSS

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account