Laws regarding mopeds vs. electric scooters

I am a brand new moped owner and I'm a little confused. Mass defines a moped as 1) 50cc or less 2) automatic transmission and 3) having a top speed of 30 mph

So, here's my question, what if you have an electric moped/scooter that is 50cc, automatic transmission, but has a top speed of 40mph. Is it still legal to register it as a moped? Or do you have to start the process all over again as a motorcycle?

Any input you all might have would be wonderful, and greatly appreciated.

-Kerilah

P.S.

The moped listed for my account is wrong, but they didn't have my model on the site. I have a 2008 Maui Deluxe 50!

Re: Laws regarding mopeds vs. electric scooters

yes it should be fine just don't get pulled over for speeding

p.s we deal with vintage 2 stroke mopeds with pedals

Electric starter doesn't change the classification. In states where pedals are not required, it's legally defined as a "moped", but will get nothing but derision from moped gangs.

Don't get caught going faster than 30. I wonder if it really actually will go much over 30 on level ground.

they do for 6 month -2 years depending on how nicely u treat them

it is by mass law a moped if it is 50 cc

dont tell them it will go 40 !

just go to the dmv and register it if they ask if it will go over 30 tell them no

for electrics the federal law says if its under 750 watts has working pedals and goes less than 20 mph it is not required to be registered

but even if its over 750 watts and goes over 20 mph theres not really any way they will know

if it doesnt have pedals like an Ego or Emax then it gets registered as a moped

Sounds like you have a cheap Chinese scooter. Best of luck with it. Really. If it is 50cc, then it is gas, not electric. Electric start, as has been said, makes no difference. If it does not have pedals, it is not a moped, as that is what the "ped" part of moped means. You can still register it in some states as a moped, and some you can't. It gets even more complicated. Some people have been able to register a 50cc scooter as a moped in their state, while others have been unable to do so in the same state. I think it kind of depends on which idiot, and they are all idiots, that you get stuck with at the DMV. None of them know the rules, some of them will give you a moped plate, some won't. Peace. Jerry.

John Hannibal Smith /

Wait You still dont need a license to drive one of those electic scooters right or did they change that shit too?

Electric scooters, and electric bikes, up to a certain size, are protected by federal law, and do not require anything. They are not considered motor vehicles, and are treated same as bicycles. This is the same in all states. Peace. Jerry.

John Hannibal Smith /

hmmmm maybe i should get one of those also.theres too many 5.0s crusing around in my neighborhood right now

Is it still legal? Define "legal." Will it follow the strictest letter of the law? No, probably not. Will you be living up to the general spirit of the law? Yes, since that law was probably written before the era of 50cc 40mph scooters. So long as you obey traffic laws and don't act like an idiot, you should be able to get away with it. (I say this based solely on my experience in Kansas, where "motorized bicycles" are not supposed to be able to go over 30, yet all the Honda Metropolitans are registered as "motorized bicycles" and those things definitely go over 30mph). Either way, so long as law enforcement doesn't clock you going over 30mph, you should be fine. Of course, you could always argue that it's safer to speed and keep up with traffic than impede it by going slower. I don't know if that'd work, but maybe you get bonus points for trying? :)

if your bike is electric, it has no cc it has an electric motor, laws vary alot from state to state re: these

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account