How much $$$ for your Moby?

So this is just an open conversation to see what most people paid for their moby.... I just bought mine and i looked EVERYWHERE for one.. i called like 50 dealers and ended up driving 3 and a half hours to actually get one....then again i live in wyoming so everything is 3 and a half ours away. anyways, my 50v is clean, i lucked out because i didnt even see pics before i drove to buy it.. it has no rust, and looks like its only been ridden 20 times. i paid $250 for it.....i soon found out that my speedometer doesnt work and my odometer doesnt work either but i dont know how to fix that yet.....how much did you pay for you moby?

Re: How much $$$ for your Moby?

I traded my friend a bag, $50. for my first one, then I bought two more for 350.

lol

Sounds like you got a good deal. I think I paid $325 for mine, it was very clean and had all the sidecovers, air pump, etc. Cleaned the tank and replaced a couple cables and it started right up.

I've since put a Dellorto 15.15 on it, otherwise it's stock. It's a pain to work on, but so good looking and so nice to ride that I can't bring myself to sell it.

did the dellorto 15.15 make a big difference for you?

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

$400 from 1977 mopeds for my first 50V back like 4 or 5 years ago, $40 for my first 40T, and FREE for my second 40

How much $$$ for your Moby?

Jerry Franek /

150, 300, 245, 90 for my four. Lot's of work to do on them though. And the Dellorto, for me, has been just louder, little improvement, but that's not what everybody experiences.

I paid $300 for a clean '77 50V with sidecovers and $200 for my '78 50L (not so clean). The gunter carbs were a bitch so with a little help from my friend Derek, I put on a couple of Dellorto rip offs and they seem to be running great.......so far.

Yes, the 15.15 made a big difference because the stock Gurtner was a 10mm. The Gurtner was ridiculously complicated and topped out at 25. Last year I ran the 15.15 with a 14mm bendy intake from Handy Bikes, that got me up to 30. But the intake shape made it impossible to fit an air filter under the sidecovers and also made the carb difficult to get on and off.

So this year I bought a 15mm shorty intake from Treats. It's a lot easier to deal with and got me a few extra mph too, now it does 32-33.

The Dellorto knock-offs are a good deal too, but they only come in lever choke, and I wanted a cable choke so I could keep my side covers.

Yes, the cable choke is much nicer. Tomorrow I hope to figure out a way to keep the sidecovers on while using the lever choke. Anything is better than a Gurtner.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

I have never found a need to use my choke. I have a cable choke 15 and I have not had a choke cable hooked up on this bike in almost 3 years.

Hey... i paid 400 for mine but it was worth every penny. It had 1800 miles and run perfect. glossy paint and good chrome. it was a B model (25 mph) it run smooth and stopped at exactly 25 mph... now it is kitted and dellortoed (nice verb...) and tuned correctly. (6/4/2008 46.4 mph GPS.) the best 400 dollars ever spent. but wish i can find another that i will leave stock... sigh... great little bike.

payed 200 for my first one... pretty nice shape, sidecovers, clean tank. cleaned out the ol gurtner and it fired right up.

My second moby was free. Rusty as shit tank, but aesthetically very nice. the engine will need to be rebuilt due to water damage but hey, it was free.

$150, beautiful shape but no sidecovers and dead as my forefathers.

toe fur threadkiller /

100 bucks for my traveler.

paid for my 50v in labour.

i got my d52 for free.

First 50v 20$ and the second one 40$

§ćŗάτçλmªřċ • /

Paid $350 for this one a couple years ago and sold it for $400 about a year later. Never had an issue with it, just didn't like the engineering compared to Puchs.

~marc

50, 100, 150, 100, free, 80.

my goal is to never pay more than 150 for any bike i ever buy.

$450 my 1st one

$200 x2 for 2 mint black beauties sold one for $600 other was stolen

$200 mint blue and non running, fixed and sold it for $650

$80 nice and rusted motor, fixed and sold it for $650

$50 in spare parts i turned into a moby thx 4 the frame rafter

free from chunk in Seattle thx man!

free for fixing a peugeot for someone, gave it away for free to the buyer of the mint blue ped, since that one was stolen from her.

free bike from another ped deal, +$500 the chick bought and nvr picked it up i got to keep the ppls champ

Maitland Of the Loin /

ive gotten all 8 of my motobecanes for free.

oh except the last one, which i traded a vespa bravo for. i got the bravo for 70 bucks tho.

i probably made at least 3000 off all of them so far :o ( i kept 3)

In '84 I paid 500.00 for my first, I paid 200.00 for my second in like 93 and 3 yrs ago got a mint one for 50.00 from a mc shop that was going to THROW IT AWAY!?! Runs as new has only needed some minor work to driveline none to engine!

spedo/odo cable has been seen for sale on e-bay!

i paid 300 for my first 50v and when i was fixing it in the kroger parking lot had a guy roll up and give me one for free. he even dropped it off at my house for me. my buddy got one for free too. i will never understand why people just give these away. not that i'm complaining or anything..

Its amazing almost everyone in here has gotten one for free...after all these comments, i ran into a girl last night and i was tellin her that i just got a moped and shes oh....i used to ride one when i was a kid, my dad stillo has it sittin out in the shed for like the last 5 years, i bet he will just give it to you if you want it!!!!! Sweet!!! i think i just got my 2nd bike to add to the collection and its FREE!! Thanks guys

I took my Moby out for a ride last night and 2 people tried to buy it. Not gonna happen, I think I've done my selling for this year.

I just bought a light blue 78 this week. Paid $300. (too much?) The speedo is broken. I have to push start it because it also has a stuck rear freewheel pedal gear, but I have ordered a replacement gear from mopedjunkyard for $14.95. Everything else is stock & real clean & shiny.

I just purchased a new stock exhaust, aftermarket shocks, and a choke cable (that broke 2 days ago). I'm going to fix it up some, but probably won't be upgrading the carb or anything.

Sometimes when I start it, It backfires. It idles & runs good for having over 6500 mi. I will be doing a compression test soon to find out how healthy the internals are. I'm new to mopeds, but I'm having a good time learning about the machine, and riding it around.

I'm glad to own a vintage moped, and not one of those newer looking chinese/korean ones that lack the clean moto style.

I will post some before / after pics soon, and let me know what y'all think.

I'am with you man, these are great bikes! I had several people want mine, the prob is they think they are like a Honda Metropolitan, no maint needed type bikes...as we all know they are not! LOL, what would happens is they would ride it untill it fails them, then it would sit in thier garage or be junked out! I can't let that happen, plus I LOVE my 80 or so mpg!

DEZ

where did you buy the aftermarket exhaust? website?

Re: DEZ

I bought the exhaust on ebay last night....It said it's a nos stock one. ...(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=200228962020

the shocks are not MB original, but the right size, and 8mm eye holes. My stock ones are rusty...So, I wanted to customize it a bit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=200228962490

I hope to have everything fixed up by the end of June.