question bout sandblasting cylinder/head

If I take my head and cylinder to a sandblasting company, what do they do about the surface of the cylinder. Do they blast it or what?

Re: question bout sandblasting cylinder/head

well think about it....i dont think that theyd pour soda on it. i think this question should be directed at the company, they probably will know

they usually cover the cylinder walls by putting a rag(s) in the hole and sand blast the outside. they sandblast the inside of the head because it doesn't affect the seal. sandblasting would ruin the cylinder wall. It would have to be re-sized.

is it safe to ask them to blast the insides of the exhaust and intake ports?

sandblasting cylinder/head

matt wrote:

>

> is it safe to ask them to blast the insides of the exhaust

> and intake ports?

Why ?... what do you think you are gonna gain by it ?

Not much of anything ... just get an old metal butter knife and scrape out any carbon... the sandblasting isn't gonna gain anything.

annnnd... if you want them NOT to sandblast any area... YOU ...had better tape it off... (normal sandblasting won't eat thru duct tape).

What if they don't understand your 'instructions'... and sandblast the wrong surfaces ?

... the only time I have had people sanblast cylinders or heads was rto get rid of baked on dirt and old paint... (on the OUTSIDE only).

I wouldn't let them touch any gasket surface ... or the 'inside' of either part.

Decarbonize with a knife, and finish up with 200 grit sand paper, if you want it done professionally take it to a radiator shop and tell them you need it decarbonized, they will soak it in a solution that will remove the carbon, then seal it all up and take it to be blasted, if you want it painted just take it to be powder coated, shouldn't be more than $40, just powder coat the cylinder not the head.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account