1977: The Year of the Moped

why is it that so many mopeds are made in 1977. what was the demand for so many bikes in 77. here's another observation. every single pinto, maxi, magnum was made in february of 77. what's the deal

Re: 1977: The Year of the Moped

I get more that are 78s then 77s

You had to be there... gas situation was about like now.

my puch was born in july 1978. LIES!

ya what Jonv said.

so a search for "arab oil embargo"

same as now. worse actually, came on faster. Shortages, lines, people pushing cars, freaking out.

only then, we could picture in 2008 we would all be driving fuel effiecient cars so something so stupid wouldnt happen again.

Whoops.

but the oil embargo was in 1973. why were there so many bikes being made in the late 70's. how long did the reparcutions last. in a relative sense were we paying more then or now for gas. and if things are the way they are now, why are there so few moped manufactureres. are we going to see a major influx of manufacturers in the next few years just as they did in the late 70's

Gas was super expensive, like $1.25 a gallon or so!, and there are shortages. I think mopeds really started to take hold in around 1974 due to new laws which promoted the use of mopeds. I've heard that between 74' and 78' 250 thousand mopeds were sold in the US. It seems 77'-78' is the peak of moped sales in the 70's.

Then a few years later localities start adding more restrictions on mopeds, gas prices were getting better/cars got more efficient and sales decreased.

it took a while for the craze to hit here. Also took eveyone that long to gun up production

not many 75's a few 76's shitloads of 77 ,,,more 78...then til 80..then drop off..

In 1974, 25,000 mopeds were sold; 1975, 40,000; 1976, 105,000; 1977, 175,000; and in 1978, 135,000.

i thought more in 78, but maybe i was thinking of the ones arriving that were 77. Everyone had mopeds suddenly. Even my dad lol

My Puch is May 78. Trac Sprint is 83. Suzuki M15 is 63. Motron Medalist is?

My Blanco is a '77.

in the 80's laws in the US were changed so that automatic 50cc scooters could get registered as mopeds. small plastic scooters took over, and the "greasy complicated mopeds" were left for us.

Late seventies had gas shortages and rationing. In NY the last number in your plate determined what day (odd or even) you could buy gas. People would sleep in their cars waiting for the stations to open. Funny thing when you look at gas prices then and now and convert todays prices to 1977 dollars it is still cheaper today then it was back in those days.

Larry Picarello /

It was a great time for mopeds. They were everywhere! Motorcycle shops, bicycle shops, car dealers, hardware stores, pool places, Sears, J.C. Penney, etc., etc., all had them. For a snapshot of what it was like do a search here for my threads " When mopeds ruled the earth" and "The golden age of mopeds".

Maybe someone could put the links here.

90% of the expresses i run into are '78s. i had a '77, my daily is an '82, and im about to pick up an '80.

Yes, in the early 70s the US experienced one of it's multiple Bike Booms - in this case, high gas prices, and new, lighter European bicycles led adults to begin taking cycling seriously.

I have piles of the ten-speed bikes that they bought - found in garages, and trash heaps, and basements. They're all in basically new condition - none of the chains are worn, none of the sprockets show any wear - no tool marks on the flat-head bolts used to hold all the parts on.

So, nickerbocker, it looks like the gas crisis and a new cyclist mystique led everyone to buy bicycles in the early 70s. Then, they realized that they were #^$%ing lazy bastards all of them, so they bought mopeds in the late 70s.

All my Scooters are 1980-1983. All my Mopeds are 1976-1980.

My maxi was built in Feb 1977. As is my friends identical Maxi. We randomly ended up with Maxi's that are only 19 numbers apart on the serial #'s

hell ya! we are cool!

in portsmouth people are going crazy for scooters. id imagine the same goes for elsewhere, with gas prices as they are. scoots are just blowing up. makes me think when (IF) gas prices go back down, these scooters are just going to loose popularity like the moped did. maybe not popularity, but at least necessity. theyre gonna die out, and 2008 Honda Ruckuses are going to be like 1977 Puch Maxis 30 years from now. There will be a bunch of weirdos who like to dig them out of sheds, get them running, and soup them up to achieve obscene speeds. strange to think about. even stranger to think about is how my moby is going to be running 30 years from now...

now is 1979, but with scooters, not mopeds.

« Go to Topic — end of thread